 Parts / Custom / 43
Re: Liquid Plastics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:40:46 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Bianca Nebab wrote:

Some parts can be replicated fairly well, however, any piece requiring a lot
of under cutting (e.g, studs) can get complicated, since air bubbles result
in the undercut areas unless you create proper air channels to allow trapped
air to escape. Air channels in turn result in extra flak that has to be
trimmed off and finished, etc.

For parts where studs cause these problems, have you considered casting them
upside-down?  Then the plastic will flow into the stud compartments by gravity,
and the bubbles will all float up to the rim of the part.  Add a few flow
channels to the outer rim and the interior tubes/rods, tip the part a little bit
so all of the surfaces slant towards the flow channels, and all you have to do
is trim/file/sand the underside flat.