 Parts / Custom / 38
Re: Liquid Plastics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:55:22 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Joe Strout wrote:
Oops, rats, I meant to post this to .custom.  I've set the followup on this to
there; please direct your replies there too.

(Sorry about that, I'm a newbie!)

Thanks,
- Joe

I use Smooth-on liquid plastics regularly with my other toy hobby, making custom
action figures. The problem with using them to make LEGO-compatible parts is
that these liquid resin plastics (like Alumilite, Micro-Mark, etc) are meant to
be poured into a mold. Silicon molds work fine. Some parts can be replicated
fairly well, however, any piece requiring a lot of under cutting (e.g, studs)
can get complicated, since air bubbles result in the undercut areas unless you
create proper air channels to allow trapped air to escape. Air channels in turn
result in extra flak that has to be trimmed off and finished, etc. The smaller
the part, the harder it is. So, I think injection molding is still the way to
go.