 Parts / Custom / 160
Re: curved roof element ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 01:04:15 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   In lugnet.parts.custom, John Neal wrote:

I am considering have custom parts made, or at least some prototypes.

I apologize for leading this thread into yet another width debate; I was kidding around, but there is a portion of seriousness there that may merit consideration. I have cut some parts in my day, but only when there simply was no other viable alternative. Now, if you are determined to go down the dark path paved by such apostates as the Mullah of Mutilation Rob H. himself, ask yourself this: is altering this particular element the answer to my problem, or is a little fancy glue here and there the answer. If MEK gives you pause, then the whole mutilation thing should as well. It is indeed a slippery slope! But there are a myriad of possibilities once the fatal step has been taken;-)

JOHN

No problem, as for parts modding. I’m well down that slope. I’ve been known to cut a brick or plate to get a needed smaller version, I.E. a 1x1 brick in dark orange, and making custom 9v train track. My first mod was drilling holes to wire up train lights back in 1990. The Dark Side is a familiar place.

AFOL have already embraced some custom manufactured parts, primarily BBB wheels. I’m curious if there is intrest in another useful part. Either way I plan to build at least 1 prototype and make some copies in resin.

Mat

I may get spurned by my train club

Hey mat, I understand your question about manufacturing parts and here’s my take on it.

BBB wheels were made because TLC basically refused to do it. Now the reason fans have embraced BBB wheels is because there weren’t any alternatives. I.E. You can’t make reliable steam train wheels out of Lego parts.

Ok so how does this relate to you? Well for the most part the parts your talking about producing while they would be useful, aren’t necessary. You can build a realistic train roof with parts that already exist.

Ondrew