Subject:
March Meeting Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 05:43:55 GMT

Today's SMART meeting was a great success!  There were quite a few new
comers to the group -- Welcome!  We hope you'll join us again at future
meetings.

There were quite a few people who created robots for the Dead Reckoning
challenge, including several by new people who showed up for the first time
this meeting!  Great job, everyone!

We saw Gus Jansson's improved helicopter which now has a second rcx as a
remote control.  The kids couldn't keep their hands off this wonderful creation!

Several people had a chance to try out some of their robots for the
up-coming Workshop 3D RCX Challenge.

One of the things I mentioned at the meeting were some custom sensors: a
compass sensor, an infrared proximity sensor, etc.  These are not
inexpensive, but the place to find them is http://www.hitechnicstuff.com/ -
click on "Products" for a complete list of sensors, and a few other things.

The next meeting will be on May 18th (to avoid conflict with the Memorial
Day weekend).  It will be at the same location - Redmond Library, room 2,
and the same time - 2pm.

We voted for our next mini challenge: Light Locator.  Build a robot that
will locate a 100 watt light bulb.  The robot will move around the room
looking for a single light bulb placed a few inches off the floor.  Stop
when you get to it.  There will be a lot of natural obstacles to navigate
around: tables, chairs, people, etc., but we'll also tip some tables on edge
to block the light from certain locations, so you will likely have to search
for the light bulb. The room will be slightly darkened by lowering the
blinds, and turning off some of the lights.  But not all lights can be
turned off, and some light will still leak through the windows, so make sure
your robot is prepared to deal with this.  It might be a good idea for your
robot to have some sort of lights mounted on it so that it can be easily seen.

We hope to see you all at the next meeting - and perhaps also at the
Workshop 3D RCX Challenge in two weeks!

--
  David Schilling