Re: September SMART Meeting at Robothon!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 06:04:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
The next SMART meeting will be on Saturday, September 22nd, held during and at
Robothon. The meeting will be a BrickHeap Wars - a competition where we bring
the (Technic) LEGO pieces, you build and program a robot at the meeting. For
this reason, the meeting will start earlier than normal.

In order to participate, teams leaders must register ahead of time. This lets us
know how many LEGO kits to bring. Really the only thing a team leader needs to
do is to bring the electronic elements, and keep a count of team members.

Team leaders are responsible for bringing (or making sure someone else on their
team is bringing) all their team's electronic elements: a MINDSTORMS RCX or NXT,
motors, sensors, wires and batteries, plus a computer (laptop strongly
recommended) with their favourite programming environment, and either IR tower
or USB cable, as needed. All other LEGO elements will be provided. Besides these
electronic components, no other parts may be added to the parts that will be
provided. You may only use standard LEGO sensors, including the HiTechnic sensor
line that is available through LEGO Shop-at-Home. Teams are limited to 6 people
total, and must have at least three members.

We'll be inviting SRS and FLL teams (and possibly others) soon to participate,
but for the next two weeks (until September 7th), registration is open for SMART
teams. If you would like to participate, please either email me (watch out for
the spambot) or post a reply to this message. If you'd like to participate, but
not be a leader, contact one of the leaders to ask to join their teams. If you
want to participate, but there are no team leaders yet, why not consider being
one? It's not hard!

The meeting will take place in one of the upstairs rooms in the Centerhouse at
the Seattle Center, and will start at 12 noon. The challenge will be handed out
shortly after 12, teams will have approximately four hours to build and program
their robots, and the last hour will be to have the robots compete to see who
built the best one.

--
  David Schilling

PS: NWBrickCon is October 5-7. If you have LEGO robots that you'd like to
display, either at Robothon, or at NWBrickCon, please let me know ASAP.
Registration for NWBrickCon is currently open. See <http://www.nwbrickcon.org/>
There is no need to register for Robothon. But if you want to display a robot at
the SMART table there, you'll need to let me know at least a week before it
starts. Thanks!

There's just a couple more days that we've reserved only for SMART teams to
register for BrickHeap Wars. After that we'll open up registration for other
teams. Once all the slots are taken, you'll have to join one of the teams that
has already registered ... if there's still room!

So far only Steve Hassenplug (from 1810 miles away!) has offered to lead a team,
and I've received a couple of emails from people wanting to participate, but
waiting for a brave person to step up to be a team leader. Anyone wishing to
lead a team (and really all this entails is bringing the electronic parts your
team will need), please post a message so others know what teams are available
to join.

If you are interested in participating in this BrickHeap Wars competition,
please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks.

--
  David Schilling