Subject:
SMART display at Crossroads Shopping Center (April 22)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 05:05:10 GMT

In a week and a half SMART will be putting on a robot display at Crossroads
Shopping Center. Everyone is welcome to come take a look, but we're especially
interested in having people participate! There's going to be a Great Ball
Contraption as part of the setup -- and everyone who is interested is more than
welcome to put one or more ball modules on display!

The show will be on Saturday, April 22nd. Setup is at 10 am. We'd like to have
everything running as soon as possible, so if you plan on participating, try to
be there shortly after that. The display will be until 4:30 or so, and cleanup
should be done by around 5 pm. We'll all meet for dinner afterwards!

What should your module look like? Copying from a previous post:
The original specifications for GBC modules can be found on
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/, but we're going to make a couple of minor
changes so that they can integrate with the Crate Contraption, and fit in the
space we have.

First of all, while the module's height and length can still be whatever size
you want, we're going to limit the depth to 48-studs - the depth of a single
large grey baseplate. (Note, you don't NEED to use a baseplate if you don't want
to. But if you do want to, they are usually available at the LEGO store in
Bellevue Square.)

In order to leave room for interactions with the Crate Contraption robots, the
location of the in- and out-baskets are also modified. They are set back
somewhat from the front of the module. The inner size of the baskets is the same
as the inner size of a crate - 8x8 studs. This 'hole' should be located 16-studs
from the front of the module.

See the following picture for details:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/Arenas/smart_gbc_variation.gif

Your module may extend a tiny bit over the out-basket, but other than that small
exception, no part of your module should extend beyond the width and depth that
you've chose. The height of your module is also arbitrary, but no part of your
own module should be above the in-basket.

There are no real restrictions on what your module can do. It can be entirely
mechanical if you wish, or contain a robot as part of it. If your module needs
external power, you must supply your own wall-wart. Put your name on it if you
want to ensure that you get it back!

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! If you have any questions,
don't hesitate to post.

--
  David Schilling