Re: Programming the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 04:52:05 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Craig Zupke wrote:
My son and I are new to the group (and to Mindstorms) so I don't know if this
has been covered recently...

I'd be very interested in learning the pros and cons of different programming
options for the RCX.  I'm currently using NQC but don't have a sense for how
that compares to BrickOS, Java, pbForth etc.  Do people tend to use one system
most of the time?  Or do they pick a different environment depending on what the
needs of a particular project are?  I haven't found a concise, detailed
comparison of the various options and if one doesn't exist I wonder if this
could be a topic that someone could speak to at a future meeting.  Also, while
browsing the lugnet groups I found some threads talking about replacement
firmware that is 10 or 100 times faster than the standard (I can't remember who
wrote it).  Doesn anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks in advance.

-Craig

While I've tinkered a tiny bit with alternate firmwares (legOS and the Swan
firmware) I almost exclusively use NQC. Considering the types of robots you're
likely to build, there really are few situations where you need more power and
speed than that. And using the standard firmware is very robust. It's almost
impossible to crash, has great support for multiple tasks, a very nice event
model, and there are great debugging features built in (display on screen, and
tones with the speaker are what you get with anything, but NQC adds data logging
capability, something that is *very* useful!)

Anyway, you're right: a comparison of the various environments out there would
make a great topic for a future SMART meeting. Anyone knowledgeable and willing
to share?

--
  David Schilling