Subject:
March 25, 2006 SMART meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:33:14 GMT

Unbelievably (well at least to me), the next SMART meeting is only two weeks
away! As usual we'll be meeting at Digipen, at 2pm on the last Saturday of the
month (the 25th in this case).

The mini-challenge is to build one or more Great Ball Contraption (GBC) modules.
The task is to take either one soccer ball at a time or a batch of up to 30
balls that come in on one side of your module, and transport them to the other
side. The 'flow' rate in either case is a maximum of 60 balls per minute.

The ulterior motive for having this as our mini-challenge is that we are putting
on a show at Crossroads Shopping Center on April 22nd where we will be showing a
Crate Contraption integrated with whatever GBC modules you build! It should be a
pile of fun for everyone! (Follow-up note will have details of the Crossroads
event.)

The original specifications for GBC modules can be found on
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/, but we're going to make a couple of minor
changes so that they can integrate with the Crate Contraption, and fit in the
space we have.

First of all, while the module's height and length can still be whatever size
you want, we're going to limit the depth to 48-studs - the depth of a single
large grey baseplate. (Note, you don't NEED to use a baseplate if you don't want
to. But if you do want to, they are usually available at the LEGO store in
Bellevue Square.)

In order to leave room for interactions with the Crate Contraption robots, the
location of the in- and out-baskets are also modified. They are set back
somewhat from the front of the module. The inner size of the baskets is the same
as the inner size of a crate - 8x8 studs. This 'hole' should be located 16-studs
from the front of the module.

See the following picture for details:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/Arenas/smart_gbc_variation.gif

Your module may extend a tiny bit over the out-basket, but other than that small
exception, no part of your module should extend beyond the width and depth that
you've chose. The height of your module is also arbitrary, but no part of your
own module should be above the in-basket.

There are no real restrictions on what your module can do. It can be entirely
mechanical if you wish, or contain a robot as part of it. If your module needs
external power, you must supply your own wall-wart. Put your name on it if you
want to ensure that you get it back!

I look forward to seeing what ingenious devices you all come up with!

--
  David Schilling