Subject:
May mini-challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:09:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, David Schilling wrote:
The next SMART meeting will be back at DigiPen, on May 21st (to avoid Memorial
Day weekend). The mini-challenge will be Stepladder Traversal:

Build a robot that can mount, ascend, cross over the top, decend and dismount a
stepladder. The stepladder will be made of 3/4" pipes, spaced 6" apart. The
first rung will be 6" off the floor. Your robot won't know how many rungs there
are to the top of the ladder, nor will it know exactly what the angle of the
ladder will be. But both sides of the ladder will be identical in length and
angle with the floor.

For a simpler challenge you are welcome to have your robot start on the ladder,
or perhaps skip the 'climb over the top' aspect of the challenge.

I've had a couple of questions about the step ladder. Here's a picture that
shows what it will look like:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/Arenas/stepladder.gif>

If there are other questions, please ask -- post online so others can see them
as well. (Especially as I'll be reading my email very irregularly the next while
-- among other things I'll be in Billund attending the AFOL Mindstorms
competition.)

--
  David Schilling