Subject:
March 26th 2005 SMART Meeting Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:55:35 GMT

We had a great SMART meeting at Crossroad Shopping Center yesterday. We had two
robotic displays set up. First was an improved version of the Crate Contraption
that we showed at NWBrickCon 2004. All the robots looked pretty much the same
(though there were a few mechanical improvements). But all of them had much
improved software.

The other display was our mini-challenge: a robotic Easter Egg Hunt. A half
dozen robots were shown. As usual there were many different techniques employed.
Some of the robots pushed the chocolate Easter eggs to the corners, others
picked them up. One especially ingenius robot pulled in an egg with a pair of
wheels and then spit it out into the delivery locations. Most of the robots
wandered around randomly looking for eggs, while one attempted to measure the
arena and know where it was at all times. To deliver the eggs to the kids, many
of the robots took the suggestion of finding a wall and following it,
counter-clockwise, to a corner. Several different techniques were used to follow
the wall. Special kudos to Sean for winning the vote for Best Robot.

Pictures are at:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=123169>

After the meeting we met at Chili's for dinner where we discussed the
mini-challenge for the next meeting.

The next SMART meeting will be back at DigiPen, on May 21st (to avoid Memorial
Day weekend). The mini-challenge will be Stepladder Traversal:

Build a robot that can mount, ascend, cross over the top, decend and dismount a
stepladder. The stepladder will be made of 3/4" pipes, spaced 6" apart. The
first rung will be 6" off the floor. Your robot won't know how many rungs there
are to the top of the ladder, nor will it know exactly what the angle of the
ladder will be. But both sides of the ladder will be identical in length and
angle with the floor.

For a simpler challenge you are welcome to have your robot start on the ladder,
or perhaps skip the 'climb over the top' aspect of the challenge.

Thanks to everyone who participated in yesterday's meeting, especially those who
brought robots for the Crate Contraption or Easter Egg Hunt events! The public
(especially the kids) loved it!

--
  David Schilling