Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:32:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
The goal is to have people build modules that conform to a standard, and can be
set-up together, without any actual pre-configuration.

Here's the only pic I have (today):
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/GBCpreview.JPG

The only real thing to note is that the train running down the middle is made to
bring balls from the end, back to the beginning.

I am already looking forward to working on a module or two for the this year's
BrickFest event. If you have four modules which can do corners, will the whole
set-up be able to be placed on a central area of tables? And run continuously?

When it's "officially" assembled, we will want room for the builders to monitor
modules, without blocking the view of spectators.  But I'd recommend the goal for
running be like last year, where the whole contraption is set to run for an hour per
day.  (feeding time)

It may run at other times, if everything is working.

Or do you specifically want the train, which I must say is a really cool
addition.

Yes, the train MUST be included.  :)  But, it can be arranged in a number of
different ways, including set-up just like any other module, with the input on the
left, and the output on the right.

That module also uses a train controller to regulate ball speed, so it can control
how fast balls feed into the rest of the contraption.

I had been daydreaming about wacky ways of getting the balls back to
the start if corners weren't allowed,

I'm still inclined to dis-allow corners.  They will only make it harder to configure
the whole contraption.  I've made one module that can be configured as either a
corner, or straight-through.  Those are fine.

like ballistics, well calibrated of
course. I suppose, now I come to think about it, there's no reason why an
individual module can't operate ballistically - perhaps a ball fountain :)

So many ideas...