Subject:
The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:21:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well, I don't have a web page made up, yet, but over the holidays, several of us
got together to set-up a Great Ball Contraption.

The Great Ball Contraption is a take-off of SMART's Crate Contraption.  With the
GBC, balls are moved (instead of crates of balls).  I don't really think it
makes things easier, or harder, just different.

The goal is to have people build modules that conform to a standard, and can be
set-up together, without any actual pre-configuration.

Here's the standard we started with:
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/

Things worked very well.  Our only real problem was table space.  However, a
couple of the modules were able to make 90 degree turns, so we wrapped it around
the table.

Here's the only pic I have (today):
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/GBCpreview.JPG

The only real thing to note is that the train running down the middle is made to
bring balls from the end, back to the beginning.

I'll try to get more pictures, and some video posted, as soon as I can figure
out how to compress a 30 second, 5 mb video, down to a reasonable size.

Steve