 Organizations / United States / RichLUG / 247
Re: Library Event December 1 - Some thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.richlug
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 15:58:08 GMT

By the way if your were wondering what the url was it is:

www.richlug.org

Rich

In lugnet.org.us.richlug, Richard Schoonover writes:
Hi Tim

I think all of these are great things to have going on.  I think we should
do all of them and then some.

I think our next display should have a city focus.  I like the idea of
Richmond Landmarks being there, but also any other crazy thing we want.  I
also think we should have a live train operation going on.  Trains bordering
the city and giving it movement are great, and drive people towards the
displays to come even.  Trains are part of what got me out of my dark days
and back into the light.  I would be willing to commit resources to modern
trains and track.  I think if we do things similar to the way we did the
display in July it would work very well..ie.  Break up the area and
designate areas of responsibility for the display.  Allow one person to be
responsible for a section of the layout.  Once we layout a general trackplan
and city layout then we can break it up and have people take responsibilty
for there section.  That doesn't mean that it has to be just your stuff in
that area, but you get to decide the direction of that area a little.
Everyone has a say on how the layout will look.  This also gives a finite
area of preperation so that we can define how much needs to be conceived or
built or bought before we put it all together.  We have a couple of months
to present sections or do mock setups for this so we should be pretty
prepared by the end of November.

shwoooooo....

I had a lot to say there.  Thought about this a lot recently.

Second, the kids play area.  This is a must.  If we can find some donations
from the library or TRU for this that would be great.  We could also
contribute a some of the tubs that are out there as LUG property from
ourselves to build up this area.  I wouldn't mind donating a set or a Tub of
Lego.  There are several different kinds of tubs and of different price
range depending on how much you can afford to contribute.  We  could combine
these and make them LUG property and appoint a keeper of the brick or
something like that.  I am not saying this is must.  I guess i am just
saying that I would be willing to contribute.

Third, the kids club days.  Would be a good public relations thing with us
and a great contribution in itself to the community and to the preservation
of our hobby.  We could do alot with these days, and could take turns doing
them, or we could all do them.  I plan on being at as many lug events as I
can.  I don't want to do every kid event, but would willing to be there to
help out if I wasn't heading one up.  Might be a good way to find some
private contributers to our cause as well.  These kid events could be on the
same day or different days as out normal LUG meetings.  It doesn't matter to me.

I think all this would be a great start on developing our calender for next
year, and finding a direction for our LUG to go in.  Not that we have been
lost.  I just think we have been on a pretty cool ride and it is just
getting cooler.

On a side not we need to take some time to hammer out a calender of events
we would like to do next year and move towards them.  I agree that we don't
want to miss ot on any events that have an opportunity for us to do a
display and show of our stuff.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to read this long post.

Rich

In lugnet.org.us.richlug, Timothy D. Freshly writes:
First of all, even though the meeting was shortened because of the Labor Day
weekend, I had a blast.  Rich, your father in law is a great guy and I
definitely look forward to seeing him some more.  He will LOVE Brickfest
next year!  Greg, the BBQ was both hilarious and a masterpiece.  You are the
DUPLO king.  I'm looking forward to the "Chick'n Shak".  Bert, keep up the
great work on the lakeside house.

Next, I wanted to get some discussion going about the idea of a December 1
"live" event.  The librarian said that she would need to know sometime this
month so they could begin to advertise (the earlier the better).  From our
random chit-chat, here are some of the impressions I got:

(1)  Great Idea.  Displays could be multidimensional - a big Town/Train
display; a Space display; a ??? display.

(2)  Kids' play/build area.  Library is willing to work with potential local
sponsors (TRU, etc.) to see if they would help out.

(3)  The library is still getting lots of questions about us and is really
interested in doing fairly regular events with us.  They suggested having a
regular "kids club" meeting and Sal suggested building workshops.

Thanks for listening.

Tim