 Organizations / United States / RichLUG / 229
Re: Train Show at Science Museum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.richlug
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:52:35 GMT

"Bert Waters" <lhwaters@hsc.vcu.edu> wrote in message
I spoke with Fran Green, special events coordinator at SMVA yesterday • about
participating in this year's train show. RF&P Model Railroad Club in • Ashland
(798-0250) is the event sponsor. The show has lost space this year due to
renovations at the museum and she believes it is too late for us to
participate. We can contact RF&P about joining their group and/or • displaying in
their shows. Fran was interested in other possible future events. She • wrote she
would "forward the information to the appropriate party". When I hear that • I
think "sweep under the mat".

Not necessarily, but it is disappointing to hear that we may be closed out
of participating.  I have a friend who is a model railroader and his club
will be participating there.  I would be interested in doing a stand alone
function there as an alternative but I think that a large event like this is
irreplaceable as far as publicity and exposure goes.  We need to be sure
that we secure our space as early as possible in the future (I would really
like to participate in next year's GATS at the Fairgrounds).

My sister knows the director and suggested it may be better to start at • the
top. She said, "he's a Lego kind of guy and would definitely be impressed • with
our Tuckahoe display" I didn't ask her what she thought a "Lego kind of • guy"
is. Lots of questions arise about putting a display together that would • need to
be addressed ie. tables. Let's put this on the agenda for the September
meeting.

Hopefully, your sister may be able to get us in anyways.  Have her invite
him to our next meeting.  If I knew he would be there, I could bring most of
my layout.

Other venues include the Children's Museum and MCV has a pediatrics
oncology unit that has a display case. Greg's idea about a three-day • display at
the Tuckahoe Library around spring break sounds great. We could start • planning
that on the 1st.
Bert

The CM sounds good too.  Would the ped's unit allow us to do a one day
display for their patients?  That could be alot of fun and also be good for
the patients.  We can definitely kick around some ideas on the 1st.

Tim