 Organizations / United States / NELUG / 544 (-20)
  Re: Age limitations

(...) It is also unfair to claim to be the New England Lego User Group, when they deny talented people access simply because they are underage. it should be renamed "New England Adult Lego User Group" or something then. (...) Again, see above. The (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Then I must be mistaken. I based that comment off of some stuff I read today before posting my first reply, set 8 months ago, with a reference to this decision being made 4 months earlier, so roughly a year. (...) Yes, I understand that, and I (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) with (...) I haven't joined, and in all seriousness, probably would not join because of this rule (and note that my main vested interest in a New England/Boston based LUG would be to point my nephew, who is under 18, to). (...) to (...) Well, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Now, you're bringing in an even more ludicrous argument, 'we','community', 'fit'. (...) NELUG's (...) So who put it forward ? (...) You mean attack a ridiculous reason for exclusion. If anyone thinks they can form an organisation with (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Ok, let's consider them then: ] Why do you cater only to adults? ] ] The primary reason is that children already have their own "User Groups" ] called their classmates. On average a child building with LEGO® has a ] large number of friends (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Well, I think *that's* being a little unfair. Eric and the others did the hard work to get NELUG started, to get the name publicized, shelled out the money for the domain naime, made the web page, etc. I think it's *really* unfair to suggest (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) You know what? LUGNET is a terrific place in the woolly Internet on account of the volume level doesn't get much louder than this. Matt might be the _only_ one sticking up for this position because it's July 3 and everybody is not hooked up to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) "Then" was less than half a year ago. I'm not sure how that can be construed as a long time. (...) I assure you that I am not just ranting on my own. Remember that LUGnet is not a real-time forum, and that not many NELUG members are likely to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

I think Shiri is getting a raw deal here, and I think the ONLY way you are going to solve this is by opening up the NELUG group. Let the "Adult" members create a new group. That way you can keep your exclusive "adults" group and make a "public" (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) and (...) That is a good point to think about. I'm not sure I can answer it. I think that should be between Shiri and NELUG. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) WAMALUG does not have geographic restrictions. Anyone able to make it to meetings can become a charter member, and *anyone* can join our list and post. Currently, we have members who come to meetings and events from about three hours north and (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) NELUG's (...) Perhaps it is arrogant for outsiders to suggest a change (however, I would also point out that I actually have a minor vested interest in that I have family in the area, so would consider becoming a member of NELUG, and I have a (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I can tell you it isn't. Let me tell you, it's not easy to say things like this, which is why I'm glad Chris is saying what I think, simply because he knows what I'm going through. It's hard to say this, but yeah- I AM alone here. It's hard to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) NELUG's (...) That was then, this is now. Though I'm not denying your unanimous vote, but if the rest of NELUG still feels the same on the issue, I'd sure like to see their support for you now. You appear to be the _only_ one sticking up for (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) For the record, we HAVE talked about doing NELUG (and unofficial, like Todd's proposed 4th-of-July thing) things that would include all ages. I think a lot of people from NELUG would be interested in participating in such a group. (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Actually, I *think* what he was suggesting was a LEGO society for all ages, not just one for under-17s. I'm kind of curious...are there other under-18 LEGO fans in the Boston area? Speak up now, please. If there's enough, then two things (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) It's ok. It's difficult to convey intentions and tone in newsgroup postings and it's easy to misinterpret. (...) The counter question is: if it's a huge fight to get her in, will the situation be healthy afterward? (...) This might be an (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) True enough! Specifically, I was referring to the fact that you're a woman, and that statistically you're in the vast minority on that qualification alone. Your nationality, too, now that you mention it, but it wasn't what I was thinking of. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) OK, so replace "what" with "who". I still don't think that changes anything. (...) NELUG's (...) I apologize that I seemed arrogant. This is not so much an attack, and I'm sorry it came off that way. But it IS a very direct and straightforward (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) A few thoughts strike me on this whole issue, and Mike's response: - There is always a possibility of someone being immature or otherwise innapropriate for a group. The issues of telling them they are no longer welcome is no easier if they are (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact