Re: CP Limits (was RE: Bubble Gum Crisis: A Great Game)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:40:10 GMT

"Wayne McCaul" <wmccaul@comcast.net> wrote in message
Okay, that's a good point, Joe. I guess I was more *thinking* that lower • CPs
translated into lower unit counts, and that's probably flawed.

To be honest, I think what I'm driving at is how to make the game turn a • bit
quicker? More bang for the buck. I think it would be super groovy if • combatants
had plenty of time to really get up in each other's faces and conduct • several
turns of no-holds-barred fighting.

Totally agree.  What's interesting though is that actually moving units
isn't the slow part.  Rather it's attempting to decide what to do that takes
time.  While I loved the civilian aspect of this game and the mechanics (for
the most part), the simple fact is the more civilians there are, the longer
it takes to figure out what you want to do.  Interestingly, with our
"civilians must die" approach, it became a self correcting issue, especially
since there was a way for the police to justify killing them too.

Although, I'm just happy to play sometimes. :D

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas wrote:
I would love to see more games where the CP cap is high, but the number • of troops
on the board is reduced.  I'm thinking one or two units per person and • use hit
points to keep them alive long enough to have some fun.

Maybe this solves part of my problem. Few units, more turns. But doesn't • this
create lots of powerful super units? (That not necessarily a bad thing.)

Possibly.  In games like BGC, it takes a lot of CP just to get a unit, but
that doesn't mean that I can mow-down everything.  In fact look at Jorge and
Shaun.  While each of their units was literally hanging on by a thread (I
think Shaun had 7 hit points left), it actually took a lot to get them
there.  The same is true with Jonathan's copter...it took three separate
attacks over two turns to blow it out of the sky.  This seems to be dead-on
with what we're looking for from a duke-it-out perspective.  Basically, the
uber unit issue more or less become moot if everyone is confined by the same
CP and unit caps (with caveats made for situations like Jonathan's where it
becomes one against many).  If we all have uber units, then there's nothing
uber about them.

- Joe