Re: CP Limits (was RE: Bubble Gum Crisis: A Great Game)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:31:26 GMT

Actually, Shaun and Wayne, I think you've missed the important point.  I
don't think it has solely to do with small CP caps, but rather the number of
units.  While the CP limit can clearly influence the number of units you can
create, in a game like BGC, we could have easily raised our cap by another
50 CP per player without adding very many units, if any.  While I was able
to buy a mechanik with one of my units, I couldn't afford to buy a recovery
vehicle or spare parts.  I would have liked to have added to, or made
additional modifications on, some of my creations, but couldn't because of
the CP limitation.

Clearly in a TL2 game, your CP limit has a far greater impact on the number
of units you could end up with, *unless* you had a maximum unit cap.  The
remainder CP could then go into ballistae and such or even *gasp* magic.

My concern is that people will never have games above 150 CP any more to
keep the number of units down, but I feel that can be quite limiting.
Instead, what I'm saying is that a unit cap is just as acceptable as a CP
cap and there's no reason why you can't have both.

- Joe

"Wayne McCaul" <wmccaul@comcast.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan wrote: • <SNIP>
(1)  Small budgets, small budgets, small budgets!  With only 150 CP • allowed per
person, most participants only had 1 to 3 troopers.  We played with • partial
civilian control (described here: • http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=2978),
which was responsible for about half of each turn.  I'm a convert to • small
budgets.  Sure, you don't get to use everything cool that you can come • up with,
but oh! the rewards!

Actually, I think limited CP is always a good idea (and I'm always happy • with
TL5+). With this many people, it's really *necessary* to have lower CP. • It's
about the only way we can squeeze this many turns in.

Most of the games I have played have been squad games. A handful of • troopers and
a vehicle or two. The biggest game we had The Battle for Corporate • Sponsorship,
where both teams were vying for those lucrative product, tie-in contracts • by
beating the snot out of each other. We had a CP limit of like 1500 or so. • We had
flyers, tanks, troopers and other fun stuff
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=21182). But with only two
players, we did manage to get in about 8 or 10 turns before calling it • quits.

As players go up, CP should probably come down; 150 was a good number.

I think that, ideally, if you were going to have a mega-CP game, you might
consider some central location where it could be left set-up. Then a game • could
be spread out over a whole weekend or a couple of sessions not-too-far • apart. I
know, not really likely (but I wouldn't mind trying).

While I defiantly got my groove on over the Bubblegum game, by far, one of • the
best BrikWar games I've played. However, I would have liked to have seen • the
main combatants have more interaction with each other. It really wasn't • until
the last turns where they came in contact with each other. Team Villain • had tons
of fun because we were knocking off civvies right from the get go.

I would be interested in exploring ideas on how we can squeeze more turns • out,
more mayhem, more carnage...

-Evil Wayne

Oh, I remembered my Moe quote from Saturday night (and then looked it up • for
accuracy):

"You go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist • the
urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what? So some pimply little puke • can
treat you like dirt because you're not on the team. Well, I'm better than • dirt.
Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That • stuffs
loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff." -Moe Szyslak