Re: So... how'd it go? (version 2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 13:12:24 GMT

Ahh, I have a bunch of pictures, too, but they were taken with a regular camera,
and are, as always, awaiting developing.

Like Eric said, the game was fantastic.  The setup looked like an actual village -
we laid down the road network first this time, and then placed buildings and
landscaping everywhere.  We had Eric K's Inn, Eric K's Church, Dave Eaton brought
two fantastic office buildings, a miniature mountaintop, 2 burned out buildings,
Eric J's burned out church, two houses, some random architecturally-anomalous
turrets, lots of trees, stoplights, boulders, brushes, foliage, a lake, and I am
certainly forgetting others.

The sides were as follows:  Eric Joslin and Shaun Sullivan (ahem) versus Eric
Kingsley, Dave Eaton, and Neil I-dunno-his-last-name.  Everybody fielded
approximately 300 points worth of  forces, so one side was deliberately playing
against the odds.  Eric/Shaun began the battle with a combined WWII and High-Tek
force:  A WWI-esque hover flyer, the Sd.kfz 251 Halftrack, 2 flying SAMAS power
armor suit, a meadium mech, and about 18 or 20 troopers armed with rifles and a
heavy sniper cannon.  Eric, Dave, and Neil fielded some armed motorcycles, a medium
flyer, Erik K's Heavy 'Mech of Assured Destruction and Carnage, Dave Eaton's two
'mechs, a contingent of Space Slaves, many many troops, a squad of deadly
close-combat female lightsaber-wielding Mandorin-armor wearing stormtrooperettes, a
trooper with an inspector-Gadget-Type helicopter suit, a trooper with a missle
strapped to his back, and a number of peskily annoying kmaikaze Gonk Droids who
insisted on charging full force all the time.  Grrrrr...

Eric and Shaun basically spent a number of turns trying to establish position and
make only sacrifices that were net positive in their favor - the SAMAS power armor
was dispatched into the fray straight away, flying at maximum speed so as to make
for a difficult target, and strafing clusters of ground troops.  Eric's soldier
established position in the ruins, from which they could have the benefit of cover
and shoot, while the halftrack and hover flyer tried to block the advance of some
of the larger attacking forces.  The other side showed a willingness to use their
advantage of numbers in a concentrated assault.

Points of note:

The SAMAS armor was effective at whittling down some of the enemy's troop squads,
before finally succumbing to heavy fire from 'mechs and a lucky potshot from
Inspector Gadget.  Using them as incredibly light, quick flyers worked much better
than last game, when they were flying at low speed to improve their own accuracy.

Both Gonk Power Droid Kamikazes created beautiful explosions - on took out on eof
my troopers, and one of the spacewomen, and the other left the HalfTrack unscathed.

A spaceninja lobbed a grenade into a heavy sniper cannon  nest established in the
ruins, but didn't do enough damage to kill the gunner.

The hover flyer executed a bombing run effectively, but then was hit my heavy fire
and spiralled into the ground.  The attacking force's flyer sufferred several hits,
forcing the control lines to be severed and forcing the pilot to have to make an
emergency landing to relieve himself in his panic (no joke) - at game's end, his
fate was not looking rosy.  Prior to that, it had launched a single missle, which
missed its target horribly and instead homed in on friendly troops, much to
Eric-and-Sahun's relief.

The Space Slaves suffered heavy losses.  They never even got to bring their
pitchforks to bear.

One motorcycle lost its wheels and became a simple gun emplacement.  The other one
suffered a major hit, which only served to enrage the pilot and give him stupendous
abilities for the rest of the game.

The Halftrack looked cool the entire game, but due to the curvy road it was on
didn't really get into the action much.  It did deploy troops, however.

Near the conclusion of the battle, anime-esque armored brightly-colored dinosaur
troops were seen in the distance, watching the battle.  It is purported that said
armed dinosaurs might enter into the next fray.

Eric and Shaun held their own against the superior forces for a number of turns.
Finally, in one disastorous chain of events, the hover flyer, Eric's medium mech,
both SAMAS, and a large number of ground troops met with fiery ends.  Remaining
were the Halftrack, which was heavily armored but lightly armed, some WWII troops
with machine guns, a smattering of spacetroopers, and the sniper cannon in his
nest.  Arrayed against this were significantly fewer light vehicles and troops, but
three large undamaged mechs which were about to attack the meager fortification.
The defenders, deciding that discretion and a healthy sense of self-preservation
are the better part of valor, conceded that their lives were forfeit.  It is
assumed that the battle ended with all of the defending forces throwing down their
weapons and charging the attackers with bared teeth and slavering jowls, only to be
cut down by walls of superheated plasma, high velocity kinetic projectiles, and
stomping mech feet.

VICTORIOUS:  Eric Kingsley, Dave Eaton, Neil
GLORIOUS IN DEFEAT:  Eric Joslin, Shaun Sullivan
AMUSED ON THE SIDELINES:  Todd Lehman

am I forgetting anything?

just wait until next time ...

shaun

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Mike Rayhawk writes:
So, how did the 4/29 BrikWars game go?

It was great.  We actually finished the game this time.  There was much carnage
(Most thanks to my Mecha).  I learned that I have one heavily armored Mecha but
I also came to the realization that next time it is going to be a high priority
target and once it goes down I don't have much to back it up.  So I have some
force balancing to do.

Overall this setup was much better.  We had it setup on a table this time which
was much easier on the knees and back.  Plus it made it easier to take
pictures.

I am sure some of our more experianced gamers can expand on what went on but I
had a lot of fun.

Any pics?

Like the window I will try and get them up tonight.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: