Re: My attempt at designing a layout for Greenberg
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:57:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
Well I've been reluctant to comment, because I didn't want it to look like
mud throwing, but I just feel I have to say something though.

I just read this again and wanted to comment of a couple of things before our
meeting next week.

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
<snip>
http://www.nelug.org/layout/3x6layout5.GIF
<snip>

1.  The roads don't connect.  This is a model railroading thing, you need to
use more imagination about what is off the layout.  Townies would probably
prefer that all the roads connect.

Ick, as a townie and an architect could you just extend the road between the
factory and your main st.  All you have to do is shift two switches and
build a bridge across the gorge.  It really isn't that hard to do.  As an
added bonus the road should help pull the layout together, instead of having
these small pockets.

Well I am not going to rehash me reasoning for not connecting the roads I did
want to pose a question.  Is Chris or anyone else planning on building the road
bridge?  If they are I would be happy to work it in but it is a big project and
I don't know if Chris or anyone else is going to have the time or resources to
do this for the next show.

2.  The smallest of the 3 loops is a little small but my view is that we don't
need three massive trains running all at once.  This can be used for a smaller
short-line train or even for a trolly if we choose.  It's still 1 more
operational loop than we have had in the past.

Do we have any short trains?  I guess we could take a few cars off, but
Shaun's train, Tom's two trains, and your's are all fairly large.

Well Shaun's definitely won't work because of thier girth.  I am perfectly
happy running one of my engines with 5 or 6 cars on this loop.  They are trains
after all and can be as long or short as you want.  I also know Tom has a
switcher that might be more appropriate for a short train.

Remember this is an operating train we have never had the chance to work into
the layout before so no matter how long or short the train is it's still one
more train than every before.

Ooh Ooh, I thought of another one. :-)
3. Too many S-curves.  Didn't we have problems with decoupling in the first
few shows, because of an annoying S-curve.

Other than possibly Shaun's trains S-curves have never caused any decoupling in
my experiance on our layout.  Admittedly I am not a big fan of S-curves and I
would eliminate them if I could but they shouldn't cause us to many problems.
There is only one slight S curve on the outer loop and if we run Shaun's trains
in the right direction I don't think it will cause his train a problem.  Their
are 3 dramatic S-curves in the two inner loops but again I don't see them as
presenting any operational problems.

Eric K.