Subject:
Some Unofficial NELUG Recognition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 02:29:36 GMT

I wanted to cross-post this message that was posted in .trains today.  It was a
nice little pat on our collective backs, in an unintended sort of way.  When
the question was raised of "who other than trainheads can make such impressive
displays?", a non-NELUGger pointed out a handful of different showcasings that
came to mind immediately.  Of the 5 listed, 2 were put on by NELUG, and a third
was Dave Eaton's medieval village (coincidentally used in NELUG events).

I just wanted to throw out a comment of appreciation to everybody who's been
participating in NELUG's many and varied undertakings.  I think we've done some
great things in the last less-than-2-years, and in many different areas:
Mindfest, MasterCard, TrainShows, TCS Window Displays, semi-regular meetings
and Brikwars games, and more of everything on the horizon.

I won't get all sappy, but I just wanted to say thanks to everybody in NELUG.
Emphasis on everybody.  A post like the one I included here really serves to
remind me how fortunate I am to be in the group, even if that wasn't the intent
of the poster :)

Shaun

In lugnet.trains, Michael Reynolds writes:

Train fans are the most rabid brickfans there are. Who else makes the
massive displays we do? :-)

<Blatant challenge. Must respond...>

Star Wars fans:
http://www.nelug.org/mindfest99/

Castle fans:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=0iannai0
http://www.suave.net/~dave/newtown.cgi

Brikwars fans:
http://www.nelug.org/bw063001/

Space fans:

... and many other examples, but these were what sprung to mind, and
responded to quick & easy searches.

Keep in mind that one of the big reasons that trainheads get more visability
than other LEGO fans is because they're tapping into an existing support
structure (Model RR community).  Hopefully, other Lego fans will tap into
similar structures more often in the future, which will increase the
visibility of other things, too.  Michlug doing a space display at a con is
a *great* example of that.  So are some of the static displays that have
been put in Libraries.