Re: Some Unofficial NELUG Recognition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 23:57:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:

I wanted to cross-post this message that was posted in .trains today.  It was
a nice little pat on our collective backs, in an unintended sort of way.  When
the question was raised of "who other than trainheads can make such impressive
displays?", a non-NELUGger pointed out a handful of different showcasings that
came to mind immediately.  Of the 5 listed, 2 were put on by NELUG, and a
third was Dave Eaton's medieval village (coincidentally used in NELUG events).

This is great and I would just like to say that I would like us to try and do
as much non-train stuff as we can, especially in public.  I love doing the 2
train shows we do but I want that to springboard us into other non-train
venues.

In a follow up to the post you quoted it was mentioned that Trains have the
advantage of being an "active" display.  While this is true I don't think our
"static" Mindfest display kept folks from enjoying it.  It may take time but I
sincearly hope we get to doing more and more public stuff.  Not everyone will
want to do everything which is expected but I hope if someone hears of an
oppertunity that they at least let us know about it.  Then if someone wants to
take the lead and there is interest then we should do it.  I like taking the
lead on the train stuff and Shaun took the lead on the MC project.  For the
most part I think these projects have been much more fun than work to organize
so do dismiss something just because you think it might be to much work.  Ask
for help and see what happens.

I just wanted to throw out a comment of appreciation to everybody who's been
participating in NELUG's many and varied undertakings.  I think we've done
some great things in the last less-than-2-years, and in many different areas:
Mindfest, MasterCard, TrainShows, TCS Window Displays, semi-regular meetings
and Brikwars games, and more of everything on the horizon.

Speaking of the "horizon", I am going to be talking to someone on the phone
this week about the Boston Home Show to do a little brain storming.  If it all
goes well it could easily turn into a great "non-train" oppertunity for us.

I won't get all sappy, but I just wanted to say thanks to everybody in NELUG.
Emphasis on everybody.  A post like the one I included here really serves to
remind me how fortunate I am to be in the group, even if that wasn't the
intent of the poster :)

Yah we *Rock* ;-).  I love the group and the meetings.  Being a work at home
employee is tough on the personal front so without NELUG I would have probably
gone "Bad Crazy"(1) by know.

Eric Kingsley

1. We all know I am a bit Crazy but I consider it "good crazy"

Shaun

In lugnet.trains, Michael Reynolds writes:

Train fans are the most rabid brickfans there are. Who else makes the
massive displays we do? :-)

<Blatant challenge. Must respond...>

Star Wars fans:
http://www.nelug.org/mindfest99/

Castle fans:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=0iannai0
http://www.suave.net/~dave/newtown.cgi

Brikwars fans:
http://www.nelug.org/bw063001/

Space fans:

... and many other examples, but these were what sprung to mind, and
responded to quick & easy searches.

Keep in mind that one of the big reasons that trainheads get more visability
than other LEGO fans is because they're tapping into an existing support
structure (Model RR community).  Hopefully, other Lego fans will tap into
similar structures more often in the future, which will increase the
visibility of other things, too.  Michlug doing a space display at a con is
a *great* example of that.  So are some of the static displays that have
been put in Libraries.