Re: Muskegon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:08:11 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Kirby Warden writes:
I currently work in GR, the outskirts actually, and often visit the malls on
the Beltline.  I'm actually in the middle of a career change and my current
job is through a job placement service until I can land what I'm looking
for.  Right now I don't have time to commit to any meet date, I'm working
55-70 hours a week and driving about an hour and a half a day.  I get about
three-four hours of "downtime" a night before cutting into my eight hours of
sleep.

Ouch.  Working that many hours can be a real pain.

I'm trying to be optimistic about the comming months though.  Not that
optimism has gotten me anything this year but stress so far, but it's worth
a shot.  I've tried to get together with other builders here in Muskegon,
but one was too busy with family (a wife who dosen't support his Lego hobby)
and I lost track of the other (he moved and I don't know where he went).  I
feel kind of lonely here and would like to try and attend some meetings,
show off some of my stuff (the pictures I post just don't cut it), and maybe
pick up some building tips I may have overlooked.

We are always welcome to visitors.  :)

I'll check out those Michlug links you provided.  I remember looking about a
year ago but wasn't ready to meet up with anyone.

Also, what kind of "etiquette" is expected?  Such as:

How long should a guest expect the meet to be?

Typically the meetings start about Noon and last until 5.  A guest would be
welcome to show up any time in between there and stay until whenever.  At
least one or two members always leave before the meeting is over.
Understandable, with family obligations, etc.

Should a guest bring food and drinks (for himself or the group?).

If a guest were to bring a two-liter and a bag of chips that would be
welcome, but not required.  Members bring stuff when they can, and we always
seem to have enough.

Should certain topics be avoided during discussions?

Other than things that aren't appropriate for a mixed age group, no I can't
think of any taboo subjects.  If you really want to tell us about how you
glued together a MOC you might get some frowns but nothing other than that.
(For the most part we are purists. No MB, No Glueing, No Cutting (other than
baseplates), etc. Chris is a fringe member on that account though, drilling
through baseplates... Tsk Tsk.)

Is there a limit of how many MOCs a guest can bring?

72 - We once had someone bring 73 and it was a distater.  Yeap, 72 is the
limit.  :p

If I come up with more questions later, I'll be sure to post here.  Thanks a
bunch!!

Your welcome.

-Jason

Jason Spears