Re: No MichLUG web page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:26:18 GMT

Amy,

I did see i replied to this a month ago, but never said anything else, so I
want to apologize for that as well. And I also apologize for everything I
said as well. If you still want to do this, that would be great, if not,
that is fien as well. I feel real bad about what happened, and feel bad that
you felt mistreated, although I was one of the people. If you don't feel
like responding, that is fine as well.

There're a couple ways we can get free hosting. First, we could use
www.amyhughes.org/michlug. I don't pay for amyhughes.org and we won't use
enough bandwidth to endanger that arrangement. This would work fine for the
lugnet LUG map link and for bookmarking, but not so well for people's memory.
Second, I could map michlug.org to use the same IP address as amyhughes.org, so
www.michlug.org would take you to my home page, and
www.michlug.org/somethingelse would take you to michlug's stuff. Or my home
page could become michlug's home page so that www.michlug.org takes you to
michlug's stuff and www.amyhughes/somethingelse takes you to my stuff, but then
I wouldn't have a home page. I don't like this plan, though I'm not using my
home page for anything useful now.

Well, I think that getting to your page first would be a little strange, for
MICHLUG, what do other poeple think? It is very nice of you to offer.

In short, what I can offer...

-Use of www.amyhughes.org/michlug for free with no ads
-Simple site design - I don't have time for anything fancy
-One-way, low-volume mailing list where members sign up and get updates that I
or someone else writes, distributed by me
-Site updates taken through email, implemented by me
-Member info and links automatically updated through a web form or email

All that stuff would be fine. Maybe we can find another host to do this, and
you can do this?

What I can't offer...

-Hosting for another domain name
-Fancy web design
-A general mailing list that any member can use for broadcast
-Site updates by someone other than me, except the stuff I can automate, like
member info and links
-A place to store everyone's MOC pictures

We don't need a fancy design, I have some logo's Kai made that we can use,
maybe some links to other places members websites.

I'd still like to see someone find a host for michlug.org. Until then, please
let me know if www.amyhughes.org/michlug would be useful to folks.

That would be the best situation, yes. Does anyone know of any?

Things I propose including on the site...

-Member info pages, which would include anything you want to put in text, plus
an optional picture (of yourself, a minifig likeness, whatever) and links to
your web pages, brickshelf pages, etc.  I can automate the updating of this
kind of info.

That would be neat!

-Future events info

Yes!

-Past events info, for gathering links to photos or whatever

Yes, I need to make some up for the Novi train show.

-Sign-up for mailing list. I don't know what would be sent on this list, but
maybe someone else does. This would be a low-priority item since there is the
lugnet newsgroup.

Indeed, but we can coordinate shows and stuff outside of LUGNET, and post
stuff on LUGNEt for announcements and the like.

Well, thank you for responding to the initial e-mail, Amy, I am surprised I
did not remember this e-mail, I thought it was something else. If you want
to do this, or not, youc an contact me privately at ssanburn@cleanweb.net
and if you don't, I will take this as a no, and I will leave you alone.

On behalf of Chris and other members, I want to apologize, and I hope you
continue your building of your church, your first few offerings looked
really neat, I thought the cat pictures were cute.

Sincerely,
Scott S.
--

Amy