Re: GATS - What do I need to bring?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:43:19 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Steve Ringe writes:

We need a count on switches, I think we need 13 right and 9 left, I have 5
sets. We may be able to use a couple more if Chris can get us extra tables.

I will bring the barriers, duct tape, shims, a couple of extension cords, a
cordless drill (for adjusting the barriers).  We will also need pushpins for
attaching the skirt to the barriers. C-clamps, I have 6-8 that should be large
enough, bring as many as you can find.

I have spring clamps. I have some switches but not the switch stands (which
is a good thing, keeps little fingers from saying "gee what happens if I
throw this!")

Do we want to have a rope barrier at the entrance to the inside of the layout?
I don't think we want people to be able to walk up to the bridges. Maybe we >can just string a rope between the tables.

I agree.

Bring as many electrical wires as you have, if we have enough, maybe we can
keep all the regulators in one spot. Do we need multiple regulators on each
mainline?

Definitely. Not sure that putting them all in one spot is a good idea. Using
a master kill worked well for emergency stop last year, and changing trains
while a hassle to run around and do regulators, did work OK.

If we put them all in one spot suggest that we get some zip cord and butcher
a few short connectors to make really long connectors with large gauge
zipcord to cut the voltage loss in those small wires.

I have run 45-50ft of track on 1 without any problems. I think we
should also put the yard on a separate regulator because of the track
cross-over and also to allow staging of trains while the mainlines are in use.

Definitely. Suggest we actually use insulated track sections there
(electrical tape on the rail joints.

++Lar