Subject:
Lugola, Legoland and the Mecha Mecca
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:38:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello all, I just reurned from an increadible adventure! After months of
planning and making good friends I embarked on my journey to the West coast
to meet other like minded people at the Lugola meeting in California!

Wow what a trip! Literally! I had a great time! Everyone was so friendly!
This was indeed one of the great highlights of my life! I just can't say
enough about the wonderfull people I met during my trip but here goes!

I decided to goto California and meet other Mecha Builders. I also was
intrigued by the members of Lugola and wanted to meet some of them as I too
admired their building skills.

I looked foward to meeting Brad Hamilton, Dave Johann, Bryce McGlone, Chris
Snead, Henry Lim, Dan Jassim and others.

I arrived at the Los Angles Airport on Friday Sept. 7th. Dan Jassim walked
right up to the terminal as I was the last person to exit the plane.
Yo Eric! Yo Dan! Dan sent me an e-mail early in the morning; Dude what do
you look like?!!!! Good thing I checked before I flew out! I said look at
this image, I'm the guy on the left in the grey shirt! Ok c-ya in Cali!

We meet and greet and start walking out of the Airport when Dan notices
somthing.....hey look he says...he points to the street where the rental
shuttles pull up and in the street there is a red Duplo 2 x 2 block sitting
right in the middle of the road! Ahh haa! I say, we'll take that! It was the
kind that had an Eye printed on it. This must be where I'm supposed to be!
Only nuts like us would have seen this!

So not evan 2 minutes out of the Airport and I already have new Lego!
We go back to Dan's place (which is really comfy)I put my bags down and we
checked out the amazing Space Creations Dan is so well known for.

This was the first time ever that I had seen with my own eyes a Huge and
absolutly well done humongous Carrier of Classic Space Design! Wow! Holy Moly!
It's beautiful I shout! But man is it big. You gotta see this thing IRL!
It has girth! The Carrier has all sorts of modularity. He showed me all the
sections and I was suitably impressed. There is oodles of detail. All sorts
of cool stuff by the square stud. Dan has a wonderful sense of design. He
evan told me that he had been trying to hold onto the Carrier until I came
for the visit, he had been considering taking it apart to start his next
project. I was honored. Dan is a really cool person, an it was a treat to
finnaly meet him.

Look I'm holding the Nasal Avenger! I also got to meet his Wife and their 5
week old Son. He was hansome and strong, his wife is a doll and she was very
nice to me. We went to their local pizza joint and had chow while we talked
about what we do. One of the things I enjoyed most was our conversation
about striking a balance between our creativity and our lives as a whole.
Somthing I always struggle with.

We get ready to goto Bryce McGlone's house where Bryce, Chris Snead and Dave
Johann were waiting with all of their Mecha set up in the Garage where Bryce
has his work/lego area. We stop at Krispy Cream and pick up a dozen dohnuts.
Guys I've never seen a dohnut shop that has a drive thru like BK or MC'D's!
This must have been a big one because when you walk in it's like a factory
and conveyer belt system is all you see at first with plastic walls and the
whole 9. The counter girl gave us free samples. MMMmmm warm Krispy Kreams
huh Muffin Head! Heard you liked them too!

We get to Bryce's place and we were so glad to meet each other, all of those
guys are awesome human beings. I walk into his Garage area and I almost
flipped out! I shake hands give hugs and my eyes couln't belive it! I start
pointing everywhere! I was like a kid in a candy shop. Ohh! look over there!
look at that , and that, oh man look at that one....Chris had all his Mecha
set up, Dave had his colorfull Mecha set up as well. There's Big Blue! Wow
look at Cepheaus! I turn around and there is the BMW in all of it's
Cankerworm Glory. I stood motionless. I just....oh man whoa...big whoa. I
had seen progress pix of some of the sections, but this was altogether a new
experience. I was stunned to say the least. I could'nt talk for a moment, I
choked up in sheer awe of what Bryce has done. Talk about being blown away.
The sheen of all the angles, the play of light. The pure animal form gone
awry. Yeow! It would take all weekend to get used to it.

We hung out got to know each other and I took time to set up my Big Mech-bot
and did some initial damage survey of the others I brought. It was so much
fun. I would begin a sentence and one of them would finish it. Dan helped me
set up the Mech-bot. It was cool because evan though he had never seen it
before IRL, his skills told him how to connect things he had never seen before.

The guys enjoyed the Mech-bot and I was thrilled to show it to them.
There was also pcs. of half completed Mecha bodies and joints that each was
toying with. I got to see all of their creations up close before the Lugola
meeting, somthing we all looked foward too. To quote Bryce, "It was all just
too cool for words"....I agree. I met Karla aka Mrs. McGlone. She reminds me
of my sweetheart Cindy, super smart headstrong woman. Awesome lady. Kudos to
her and putting up with our excitement. She's gotta be cool, she likes to
ride Horses!

It got late and we got a complaint from the "old guy" next door. We settled
down and got packed up and said good night, because we get up early and goto
the Lugola meeting at the Michon's!!

I get back to my Hotel Really late at night. It must have been around 2 or
3am which is around 5 or 6am my time; east coast time. No matter this is the
trip I had been waiting for.

I get up meet Dave at his house about 10 blocks from my Hotel. I get to see
his work space. Talk about a guys who has Lego. Dave is a great builder who
loves color in his models. He has all sorts of half completed Mecha heads
joints and limbs lying around waiting to become some wild Mecha someday.

We jump back in the Rental (aka phat ryde to Lugola)stop at Mc'Ds and grab
breakfast and a couple of Bionicles. We meet Bryce at his house and his
Daughters were up and about. It was late and I did'nt really meet them the
night before. What fun kids, his baby is so happy looking, I see kids that
age cry all the time. Then again, I don't think my dad hung a swing seat in
our tree just for me. They were a joy to see. Bryce has a great home.

Saturday.
Down to Irvine to the Michons house. Kinda a far drive. We were the first to
arrive. I had heard that I would be in for a treat when I got there. I was
told that the whole family is into Lego and that I would be impressed.

We arrive in a lovely community, walk up to the house to warm greetings and
BAM! There's a life size R2D2 in the entrance way won by one of the sons
during the Lego company's Sponsored "Galactic Building Challange" , Man it's
moving and making sounds!
Oh my gosh that is cool to have for your very own!!! WOW!

I meet the Michons and see there very beautiful home. Susan and Ted are
super and I asked for the tour right after I meet their sons. Cool kids,
they know alot about Lego, alot more than I did when I was their ages.
Technically knowlegedable too. Pneumatics, RCX, gears, I got the real sense
they could grasp the level of sophistication I was attempting to create in
the Mech-bot.

Seeing the life size R2D2 right in the foyre of their home was wild but as I
soon found out they had alot of other treats as well. In addtion to having a
beautiful home, Lego was everywhere! Not in piles unorganized but neatly
sorted and contained in utility draws that line the walls of the family room.

A huge Train set up occupied part of the room. I got to see how the system
was controlled by separete RCX's that set the polarity to each run of track.
It took me some time to unerstand how it worked, Thanks Ted! I do Robotics
but the Train stuff left me out to dry for a few minutes!

We set up and the day began. People started to arrive and set up. I met alot
of cool people. They all got to see the Cankerworm too, I felt like I was
more excited for people to see it than displaying the Mech-bot. I don't know
what it was. Maybe because I knew this was the BMW's debut and we were just
waiting to see peoples reactions. I met Brad and Shelly and saw their new
Baby Austin. I got to meet Henry Lim and we spoke about things we had in
common. Dan Jassim came with a jug of OJ! Aww man I think I have a cold.
Lego in one hand O.J. in the other! I met Bryan Stokes who apparently comes
to every Lugola meeting with Lego to sell. I don't know how he does it but
wow he had alot to part with!! I spent a good 30min. picking thru a giant
bin of Grey getting parts for the GG Mech. I thought I would never get all
the stuff I need to build this Mecha. I told everyone that they did'nt know
it but that "this big bag of grey was a robot"....Thanks Brian!!!!!
I met Ace who had these really cool Mechs. I wan'nt familair with his stuff
and I await the publishing of his web site. Soon to come....

We had food, talked, traded, and generally enjoyed our Legoness.

Lugola Sept. 8th 2001

I saw Lego pcs. all week end I never knew existed!

The Mecha Mecca
Dave, Chris, Bryce and I all went back to Bryce's house for a Mecha photo shoot!

We get back to Bryce's house order Pizza slam some Pepsi and begin putting
our Mecha together for a group shot. It was so wild! We crammed all the
avail. Mecha onto a desk and soon began to realize that this was the first
time this many Mechs had ever been asembeld(sp?) in one place at one time.
We truly felt it was a first in history....and this was'nt evan all of them!!!

Building Mecha for us is a passion. We build in our own styles and yet we
share somthing. We share the desire to push the limits of what's possible
with Lego. Lego Mecha is a reletivly new style of building and we were proud
to know we were some of the first. More than any other place I am aware of,
the LA area seems to be the Mecha Mecca, and is indeed the place to visit to
see the best. I hope others in the future get to see as I did.

We took our pix, talked about everything and stayed up late.
Chris Snead is a very inteligent person, he has a heart of gold and loves
the accomplishments of man and Science. He is studying to become a Physist.
Dave Johan is a genius. He has had so many life defining experiences.
Meeting Dave was a seriouly important part of my trip. Bryce is quite an
individual. Seeing his dedication to his art, his family and his freinds
trully struck a cord in me. (choking up, must not get teary....gah)

We wrapped it up and got ready to meet for Legoland on Sunday.

Hey so Sunday morning we all met up again and drove down to Legoland.
Not a hop and a skip either....more like a two hour drive. But that's ok
because we talked about our projects and short films that Bryce wanted to make.
Sort of a Movie to describe the Cankerworm and how it fits into the
Battlefield as Bryce sees it. (or somthing like that!)

My mind was full of wonder thinking about how cool all these techo
futuristic scenes played out in my head. As I listened to the thoughts and
origins of the Q Mech and Dave's Hardcore Temporal Industries.

We get to Legoland down in Carlsbad. I again felt like a kid in a candy
store. Rumors of Bulk Lego for sale. You bet I had my spending money ready!
I imeadiatly ushered us into the first store I found by the entrance.
Ohh shirts, Legowear!! Keychains and sets galor.

We walk around and I am just amazed by the models at the park. Most of the
Models are completely made with real Lego and just a few are large one peice
deals.

Seeing miniland and all the large scultures was awesome. Funny how you know
all this stuff can be built with Lego, but wow untill you actually see it!

That said, here are the pix from Legoland. I know I took alot of pix and you
probably said to yourself "man, Eric why did you take so many pictures?"
"Now why should I go? I have seen the whole park already!"

Heh ,heh, Trust me the pix are nice, but you have got to see Legoland for
your self. It's just amazing. To see these works with no limit on the pcs. used!
I was in a daze of disbelief.

We enjoy our day at Legoland and head back to Bryce's house to collect my
Mecha. I got so much stuff I couldn't bring it all back, then Bryce
suggested it would be an honor to keep the Red Robot with him for a time as
he and Dave would like to learn from it and check out the funtion of the
Legs and arm joints. Aside from thinking this would be a good way to get all
my loot home, I agreed mostly because it was a way for me to repay the
kindness that Bryce had bestowed upon me when he sent Q to me for a visit.

So with my week end of fun comming to a close, there was just one more stop
on my Mission. To see Henry Lim and his wonderfull works of Art. Artist to
the T. Henry was up late around Midnight when I finally got to his home. I
walked in to find myself looking dead on at the giant 14 foot long
Stegasaurous he has constructed in his living room! OH MY GOSH!!! Again
seeing IRL is key to the astonishment I felt. I was so happy to see his work
but evan more thrilled to meet him. A kind and gentle man with a firey
imagination and a tenacity to create Henry is one of my heros. I saw the
Beetles mossaic and it was a wonder to behold. I got to see another work
inprogress I know you all will be impressed by when he publishes it. I had
so many questions. Oddly it seemed like I alredy knew the answers. Like
minds think alike and I knew I at least shared somthing with this Artist,
just as I felt with Dave, Chris, Bryce and Dan. He gave me a copy of his
most recent CD as I professed a love of music after I found out that Henry
is a composer. Meeting Henry and seeing his fantastic works was the cherry
on top of my visit.

I drove back to the hotel feeling increadibly lucky. The feeling that I was
alone in my Creativity with Lego was gone. I felt that all these people I
met during this trip were all so special. They each made me feel that they
were so happy I came to California. All of them will be friends for life.

Dave met me on Monday morning. Despite our best efforts Monday morning Los
Angles traffic got the better of us. I missed my flight and Dave got his
magazines back from the car rental. I spent the time waiting for the next
flight raving to Cindy on the phone about my adventure. She was very happy
for me and she knew I was going to meet people I admired. She asured me when
I got back I had dishes and laundry to do!

Well Folks thank you all for a memorable visit. I got the sence you all had
as much fun as I did.

If you read this, thank you. I wish you could of been there too.

I would finish this story by saying that all this happiness was to take an
abrupt turn less than 12 hours later.

As I flew into Newark airport, the aproach brings you past the NYC skyline.

I saw Manhatten and then the WTC as we headed south to land.
That was the last time I ever saw them.
I miss them so. R.I.P all those who perished. I have a place for you inside
my heart. USA my home.

Thank you,
Eric Sophie
Legomaster