Re: My Latest Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:28:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:

   As for why I didn’t hook the steering drive up directly, there were 2 reasons. You stated one (ability to change over to an RCX). The other is that with only 1/4 of a turn for full side-to-side steering, I would have to gear the output up some and then drive with a 40 tooth gear...and I used all my gears to do the drive train :) (there are 20 gears + 2 differentials in the drive train...I never said this thing was simple) :)

Hope that all makes some sense.

Bryan... I’d be interested in knowing how you have your drive train setup. I’m sure it is too complicated to easily explain... Maybe a couple of pictures? I’ve tried a few RC buggy motor drive vehicles and have found that trying to send all that torque through the lego differentials bad for the health of the gears (ie lots of very bad grinding and snapping sounds when starting & stopping). How did you do it?

Thanks,

John