Re: My Latest Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:14:46 GMT

On Mon, September 19, 2005 10:43 am, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
I created a four wheel drive chassis that runs on two RC Buggy Motors.  The
motors are doubled up on the same drive shaft that runs both the front and rear
differentials.  Steering is done via rack & pinion.  I did not put a transfer
case between the front and rear drives (but I might still go back and do this).

Right now, the motors are driven by an RC Buggy Control box.  The steering
output of the control box is hooked to a polarity switch so that steering is
quasi normal (when you let go of the steering control on the remote, wheels
normally go straight…with this configuration, when you release the control, the
wheels stay where you put them).

Sounds nice.

So, it has a motor to steer in addition to the drive motors?  Is there a reason for
not using the build-in steering?  Oh, I guess for future development.  (RCX
Controlled)

Would it be possible to have the polarity switch so it will "un-steer" the front
wheels until they are centered?  Like have a rubber band pull the polarity switch
towards the side (same side as the gear rack), which causes it to drive the steering
to the center.  When it's back to center, the rubber band stops pulling.  When you
are actually turning, that will overpower the rubber band and turn the direction you
want.  You should also (if you haven't already) be able to put a stop, that returns
the polarity switch to neutral, when the steering reaches the end of travel.

Sorry, random thoughts.  I'd like to see it.  I've been thinking about building such
a device for the RoboMagellen competitions.  I think it may be good for that.

Steve