Re: third generation rock crawler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:22:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Brian Davis wrote:

Very nice! I like the compact rear differential and gearing. I wonder if you
could rotate the rear motor 90° so it lays under the chassis, to (very slightly)
improve the center of gravity. Very nice looking. What happens if it gets lifted
at one corner, with three wheels down, does it tend to veer suddenly?

Well look whose back to being able to post on LUGNET :)

As to rotating the motor, that would require either elongating the wheelbase, or
raising the NXT up to make room.  Neither option is desirable.  Raising the NXT
puts the COG too high, and it flips over itself on steep inclines.  Increasing
the wheelbase increases the turning radius and increases my chances of getting
high-centered on something.  I don't particularly like the motor sticking up
like that either, but so far it's the best solution I've come up with.

Three wheels down and one up isn't much of a problem.  A low COG and the wide
wheels seem to help in that regard.  The biggest problem I've had so far is
actually with 2 wheels up.  Since both axles have open differentials, when I get
opposite corners lifted, things just sit and spin.  I've got an idea to make the
rear a pseudo limited slip axle, but haven't done that yet, I'm concerned it is
going to hurt my turning radius.

John