Subject:
Tic Tac Toe Results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:35:49 GMT

So, we've been playing with Tic Tac Toe for a couple months.  Of course, at the
same time, several of us have been working on other stuff, as well.

We finally had our Tic Tac Toe event yesterday.  It was a very cooperative
event.  Every robot played each other robot two games (each going first, once),
but I think there were more "re-dos" than actual games.

In the rules, we planned to score based on (1) Wins and (2) Lowest time.  Before
the games began, we decided to adjust the rules to allow "touches", so if a cube
didn't settle into the square, it could be adjusted, and the game would
continue.  So, the matches were decided by (1) Wins, (2) Touches, (3) Lowest
time.

It did actually change the results a little, because in one game John's robot
dropped a cube in the wrong square, and ended up loosing a game to Kerby's
robot, that had several touches.  But, overall, we all agreed it helped the
games.

In the end, all games were decided by who made the least mechanical mistakes.
None were really decided by game logic, or robot speed.

Here are the final results for the day (last to first)
7) Brian Davis:  Several of us thought he had the most reliable robot, from
previous gatherings.  He was so confident he could win, he didn't even show up.

6) Greg & Andrew Dykstal: Their  robot was so scared, it stayed home, alone.

5) Chad, Tom & Troy Phillips: Their robot never lost a game, but it also needs a
program.

4) John Brost: Kevin C would be proud of the pneumatic block dropper.  He would
have finished higher if he HAD "touched" the mis-dropped cube, and moved it to
the square his robot thought it dropped it.  He ended the day with six "touches"
and one loss

3) Kerby Hughes: He had a pretty good robot when we got together in December,
but he's fixed it sense then.  It was the slowest working robot, and required 15
touches to play 25 cubes.

2) Bryan Bonahoom: Turns out it's not so easy to use a light sensor to detect
cubes.  He was plagued with calibration issues all day.  After about the fifth
or sixth game of his first match, he finally had a satisfactory calibration, and
finished the day strong.  He ended with only two touches, but one was in a
critical game, which was eventually declared a Loss.

1) Steve Hassenplug: His original robot had two rotation sensors, but after
running into many problems, the rotation sensors were replaced with light
sensors.  However, after everyone else abandoned rotation sensors, one was added
back, and the robot required only two touches during the day.

As it turns out, anyone could have won.  We were all dropping cubes from at
least 4 studs above the board, and it's hard telling which way they're going to
bounce, when they hit the baseplate.

Most of us are going to hang onto our robots, because they will make fun demos
for various other events.

Now, on to Indy...

Steve