Subject:
IndyLUG sweeps the awards at BrickFest 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:33:14 GMT

Well, I guess we really didn’t “sweep” the awards; there were plenty of other people from other LUG’s who received awards too, but in comparisson to the number of IndyLUG members who were at Brickfest, we did very well.

John Kyle won 2 awards in 2 quite different categories:

• Best Small Mecha for his Yellow 2 man mech
• 1st place (out of the 3 best) in Town Structures for his Courthouse

Steve Hassenplug once again domitaned the entire Mindstorms area! He won 3 (That’s right--count ‘em, 3) first place awards in the following categories:

• Sumo Chase (line Following and Sumo)
• King of the Hill
• Neatest thing in the room based on popular vote, with his Connect 4 robot(s) One vote for this was for Steve (not his creations but HIM!)

Brian Darrow won quite a prestegious award for his first space creation

• Best Moonbase Module with his Blacktron Intellegence Agency (B.I.A.)
It was so obvious that Brian’s B.I.A. was head & shoulders above everyone elses’ modules that when Chris Giddens announced this award he said, “...and best Moonbase Module, DUH, goes to Brian Darrow.“

Jeramy Spurgeon won a train award, and he wasn’t even there!

• 2nd place for his Train Engine that Brian Darrow brought out there for him

There were even more IndyLUG winners at the first ever LEGO Gameshow. This trivia gameshow was gratiously hosted by Dave Eaton. He organized the game and provided the prizes. I think there were about 30 people in the room. Of those 30, 4 were IndyLUG members: David Gregory, John Kyle, Broan Darrow and Eric Smith. All 4 IndyLUG members were randomly called down to contestants’ row, and all 4 made it up on stage to the Who-Wants-To-Be-A-Millionare style quiz. (Each question was harder, and the more you answered correctly, the better prize you got.) All 4 of us also won something. David even made it to a level 4 prize (out of 5 levels). Steve you should’ve come to the gameshow--you’re in IndyLUG, so they would’ve surely drawn your name.

Overall we had a great time. Hopefully more IndyLUG members can come out to BrickFest next year.