Subject:
private forum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:48:13 GMT

IndyLUGgers,

(I know many of you are burnt out from your hare's race to GATS, but since I'm
slow as a turtle, I'll just keep on posting as things come to me.)

It has been requested before that we have an alternate mailing list, mainly as a
back up to LUGnet. I also see a need for non-public group communications, such as
the sharing of addresses and phone numbers. I'm opposed to having two mailing
lists for the same purpose, though. I would want to restrict the alternate list
to exchange private info and as a backup to LUGnet. Eric Smith has before
mentioned the possibility of hosting a listserv. I think there's an
administratively simpler and more feature-rich alternative: Yahoo! Groups. If
your not familiar with it, look here: http://groups.yahoo.com/ . It's free, and
it's as private as we want it to be. There are only two or three drawbacks: you
have to have a Yahoo! ID to access the web features; it's
advertisement-supported; navigating the initial sign-up process is inexcusably
difficult. In its favor: not only does it support a mailing list, but also
file-sharing, contact lists, calendaring with notification, and polls.

What do you all think? Heck, I might set one anyway up just so I don't have to
remember to post a meeting reminder!

-Brian