Subject:
proposed constitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:08:38 GMT

I thought about our constitution on the way home from the June IndyLUG meeting,
so I recorded on my Palm's voice memo while I drove (hey, I'm 38% geek.) It's
time to clear some memory, so here's the up-chuck, I mean, transcription/rewrite.
This is a *proposal*. I hope you'll read it and fix it. I tried to keep it short.

By the way, with regard to Roberts rules of order, I found this gem:

"By the legitimate use of the principle that the rules are designed for the
protection of the minority, and generally need not be strictly enforced when
there is no minority to protect, business may be greatly expedited. When there is
evidently no opposition, the formality of voting can be avoided by the chair's
asking if there is any objection to the proposed action, and if there is none,
announcing the result. " --Roberts Rules of Order Revised - Article VIII,
Paragarph 48.

Even Robert's Rules seems to follow the KISS principle :)

Preamble

IndyLUG is an Indiana LEGO users group. The purpose of IndyLUG is to play well
together with LEGO bricks. The purpose of this constitution is to provide a
structure where that play can be fostered and hindrances can be avoided. IndyLUG
is not associated with nor endorsed by The Lego Group.

Article I. Membership.

Section 1. Membership. A member is someone who has attended an IndyLUG meeting in
the past, lives in Indiana and has expressed a desire to join. A member who has
not attended any IndyLUG meeting or event for over twelve months can be removed
from membership unless they have expressed a desire to remain in IndyLUG within
that period. A member who otherwise qualifies for membership can be removed
against their wishes only by a club decision and only for behavior which
contradicts the stated club purpose to play well together.

Section 2. Rights of members. A member has the right to equal time to express his
or her opinion at meetings. A member has the right to vote at meetings. A member
has the right to be a candidate for office. A member has the responsibility to
attend at least one club meeting per year.

Article II. Offices.

Section 1. Officers and duties. There shall be a president, a vice-president, a
secretary, and a treasurer. The president shall preside over IndyLUG meetings and
  provide the club with direction. The vice-president shall assist the president
and shall act in  place of president when the president is unable to fulfil his
or her duties. The secretary shall record meeting minutes and maintain IndyLUG
records including the property inventory and membership roll. The treasurer shall
receive all club funds and maintain them in a club account. The treasurer shall
make authorized disbursements. If the treasurer is unable to fulfil his or her
duties, the president may appoint the vice-president or secretary to act as
treasurer. Other positions of responsibility may be created as needed by the
club, but these positions shall not consititute "officers" for the purpose of
this consititution.

Section 2. Terms of office. The duration of offices shall be one year, starting
on the first day of the club year (which shall be January 1st unless changed by
the club). An officer may not succeed himself in the same office so as to prevent
entrenchment or burnout and to promote renewal.

Section 3. Elections. Elections shall follow the same procedures as for making
other club decisions unless other official arrangements are made.

Article II. Official meetings.

Section 1. Meetings. There shall be at least one meeting per year. A meeting can
be called by the president, by any two other officers, or by a petition of a
majority of the members. No official meeting can occur without reasonable notice
to members and reasonable accomodations with regard to time and location. The
agenda is set by those calling the meeting. These mechanisms prevent a minority
from hijacking the club agenda. Nonetheless the president (or vice-president
acting as the president) must preside over the meeting so as to prevent a
majority from trampling a minority.

Section 2. Official decisions. The members present at an official IndyLUG meeting
shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of making binding club decisions. Any
member present may vote. Decisions shall be rendered by Roberts' Rules of Order
Revised unless the club decides to use some other decision-making model.

Article III. Club property.

Section 1. Receiving and disbursing. Any item or money given to the club (such as
prize money from a train show, a donation from The Lego Group) becomes club
property. The club can disburse its property in any way it sees fit by official
decision.  Members have no individual claim to club property. Should the club
disband, club property shall be divided as equally as possible among all who were
members at the time of disbandment unless some other official arrangement is
made. To provide accountability, each disbursement from club funds must by
authorized by the president or by official decision of the club.

Section 2. Record-keeping. An inventory of non-monetary property acquired by
IndyLUG shall be kept by the secretary. The treasurer shall keep an accurate
record of all monetary club transactions.