Re: Motorized Point
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 05:23:45 GMT

TWS Garrison wrote:
Can
the design be easily adapted to a lower profile (motor beside the
mechanism) when horizontal space is plentiful?  Putting the motor beneath
the mechanism looks okay (I think?), which is probably the most
aesthetically pleasing way to do this for an elevated point.

Yes, the motor can be above (as shown), below, or behind (further from the track)
the drive train without significant design change or increase in volume. You can
easily put it to the left or right of the drive train, but that's harder to
optimize space-wise and aesthetically. In all cases these modifications are left
as an exercise to the builder.

One modification I did try was to use it on an unmodified point. I didn't get
past proof-of-concept. The final outcome would probably be 2 or 3 studs wider and
1 brick taller (4 x 9 x 7) than the current design. Anyway, Jeff Elliott already
has a working design (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=10867) for
an unmodified point, and it's only slightly larger than that (8 x 7 x 5). Plus he
found a place for a door, which I could not. :-)