 Organizations / United States / CedarLUG / 9
Re: Prepare Your Troops for a Surface Attack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.cedarlug, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 02:37:28 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.cedarlug, David Simmons wrote:
Superb!!  Now this is the kind of "extra stuff" I'd love to see on a Special
Edition!

As much geek-appeal as that would have, I'm glad Lucas didn't fall into that
trap.  Part of what made the OT so good was the fact that instead of spending 10
minutes on a few details, he'd spend a few seconds on a thousand details.  It
has a way of really fleshing out the setting, but still allowing the story pace
to move along at a brisk clip.  Lesser sci-fi movies would have spent as much
time as he did on the entire Cantina intro just to show off half a dozen aliens,
and probably try to justify the costuming/makeup expenses by working them into
the plot as well.  Which is not to say that this is not a cool diorama, just
that it's better coming from a fan's imagination than stretching out the movie
it's based on.  Still, it does kinda make you wonder what they were using to get
those beasties down to the surface.  In all this time, I don't think I've ever
seen any landing craft or drop pod capable of squeezing in an AT-AT.  Dark
Forces III did include some sort of AT-ST drop-pod, so maybe they do something
similar for the AT-AT...