 Organizations / United States / BLOC / 13
Re: How did I become a BLOC member?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.bloc
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:37:20 GMT

I feel exactly the same as Mark.  I think that BLOC is a great idea, and I
will try to support the club, but to assume that I will be a member and to
publish my email is a bit intrusive.

A quick email to me would have gotten a positive response, but now I am a
little on my heals, waiting to see what is really going on.

Maybe I am just overcautious due to the multiple times I have gotten screwed
by people that I don't know on the Internet.

My suggestion is to remove the everyone from the member list on the page
unless you have comfirmed their desire to be a member (you can leave my name
on.)  This may hurt your membership, but I think you would have a true club
with members who all wish to be members.

This reminds me of on 'trick' that the gay and lesbian organizations play at
Ohio State.  The announce that on a certain day, if you support the gay &
lesbian organizations, you should wear blue jeans.  Not that there is
anything wrong with those organizations.  You become a 'supporter' of an
organization without even knowing it.

In lugnet.org.us.bloc, Mark D. McKean writes:
Upon seeing the formation of the new LUGNET group for BLOC, I decided to
visit BLOC's web page to check for events and such. Imagine my surprise
when I found my name on the members list!

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining. I was going to ask how
one joined BLOC in the first place, so I definitely want to be in. I'm
just curious as to how I got included in already. I mean, I've never
managed to make it to a central Ohio get-together. No one here has ever
met me. By all rights, I ought to be considered a virtual nobody by
those of you who do manage to get together. So how did I merit the honor
of being granted automatic membership?

Or did I sometime in the past sign myself up for this and I just don't
remember it now? :-)