 Organizations / United States / 597
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 06:33:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Eric Joslin writes:
There is nothing special or magic
about Eric Kingsley that made NELUG work, he just invested a lot of time and
effort into getting it off the ground.

Disagree. Lorbaat is wrong again. As he is so very often ;-). I speak from
experience in keeping a 300 person PC club alive for several years.

It *is* "special or magic" to find a person in an area to form a nucleus and be
a catalyst. Starting groups is HARD. Keeping them going is hard too. There is a
constant ebb in enthusiasm that has to be counteracted by always coming up with
interesting and new things. People who are willing to do that are indeed
special.

NE residents are lucky that Eric dug in (and of course the hard work of others
can't be discounted, either, but it takes a cataylst to get it to appear) and
handled the organizational and communication aspects of getting the org off the
ground. Takes a lot of magic dust.

Look around at the other groups and you'll find a core of people (maybe one,
maybe a close band of friends) that make things happen. You can measure how
good the group overall is by how effective that cataylyst is.

GMLTC is, as usual, the exception that proves the rule, but in that case it's
Conan's bricks that serve as a catalyst rather than a person. Minnesotans are
more nice to each other and (genetically predisposed?) better at organizing
than average. Who wouldn't "play nice" in order to get to play with 2.3M
bricks? So a person wasn't as key (although you could say that J1, J2, and J3
serve the purpose).

Now, Eric K, sprinkle a bit of dust on yourself and stay above the fray, hm? No
need to keep using vulgar language no matter how steamed you are.

++Lar