 Organizations / United States / 593
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 04:11:51 GMT

I'd like to add to Craig's thoughts with my own experiences.

I was deep in my dark ages at age 16, but I became involved with the MIT
gaming club at that point in my life. My introduction to the club was
attending one of their game cons. I had been running a D&D game for a handfull
of friends. One of those friends had arrived at the con before me, and as I
was trying to collect myself (I always arrive at events in a state of total
dissarray and need some moments to collect myself), he was starting to recruit
players for the game I was going to run. By the time we had a table and I was
ready to start running the game, there were 15 or 16 players around the table.
The end result was really impressing a couple of the most respected club
members (though these particular members were college age or so).

As I participated in the club, I earned the respect of some of the old guard
(way past college age).

I very strongly value this experience. As a youth, I was very insecure, and
shy. I credit my involvement with gaming for opening me up (of course I also
credit various other experiences in public speaking which built upon the
foundation laid by gaming).

As an adult, and an advisor to a senior high youth group, I can say that I
regularly get to observe 16 and 17 year olds blossoming into adult maturity. I
have seen them participate in board meetings, not just at the local church,
but at larger levels such as district and national.

16 or 17 is the age which people are starting to make that transition to being
an adult. I'm sure this is part of why 16 is a magical age in some legal
situation (such as age of consent).

Frank