 Organizations / United States / 594
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 04:29:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Shiri Dori writes:
[...]
In case someone missed this, one of NELUG's conditions for membership is
that a member must be over 18.
[...]

As a NELUG member, I'd love to hear stories/experiences specificially from
16-17 year olds (or 18-year-olds if you were once 16-17 as part of a LUG)
who are members of other LUGs in the U.S....this might help me form a more
solid opinion if the age issue is put to a formal vote at a future NELUG
meeting.

* As a 16-17-year-old, how do/did you feel about being allowed into your
local LUG?  Grateful?  Take it for granted?  Surprised?

Joining GMLUG at 17, I had yet to learn of age limits in NELUG, so I wasn't
suprised to be accepted.  Grateful yes, I was glad to be part of something.

* How would you feel if you weren't allowed?

GMLUG does very little, at least since I've been there, but if I was told I
couldn't join because I was under 18, I would have been upset, and prolly did
the same thing Shiri did.

* What would you do (instead, to compensate) if the limit were 18 -- i.e.,
if you weren't allowed?

Not much I could do, other than get opinions of others via Lugnet, and hope
for a change.

* How has it enriched your life to be a member at age 16-17 as opposed to
having to wait until you were 18?

The best thing is the "part of a group-edness."  That feeling is really
important to a teenager.  Even if it is only in title, one needs to be part of
something.

* What would you recommend to a 16-year-old in an area where the local LUG's
age requirement is 18+ ?

Try to make a change, ask public opinion, if there were enough underagers,
start my own LUG.

Thanks,

--Todd

No prob...