 Organizations / United States / 580
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 21:52:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.org.us, Shiri Dori writes:
<snip - anyone who hasn't noticed the debate is under a rock or not on-line>

FWIW:

I agree with Shiri's (and others, apparantly) opinion that an age cut-off is
unnecessary for a club aimed at Lego enthusiasts.  My personal opinion is that
this sort of thing should be handled on a case-by-case basis - it's less
arbitrary than a flat rule.  For obvious reasons, that's not always practical,
but it is generally more fair.

BUT!  NELUG is the only group that can tell NELUG what to do.  To
vernacularize: "Ain't no one here got a right to tell me how to run my life!"
(or club, as the case may be).

From what I've seen (done a lot of fast reading, so much of it is a bit
blurred in my mind), more people (on both sides) are making/responding to
hostility than are usefully contributing.

If I may be so bold as to sum up?

Shiri think's NELUG's rule about members being 18 & older only is unfair.

The defenders of the policy feel it's in place for good reasons, and don't see
the point of hashing it out publicly. - it's already been stated several times
that they'll hash it out privately.

The criticizers of the policy think the stated reasons are insufficient,
particularly in Shiri's case, but also in the general case.

I don't think *anyone* can deny, given the amount of posting, both coherent
and otherwise, that this is a clear issue - both for NELUG, and for other
clubs.

I would like to ask, as a member of NALUG (Norhtern Alberta LUG) and as an
interested(1) party, if NELUG would please consider making the outcome of your
discussion about this public, so that some of concerns can be settled (one way
or the other).

I would also like to ask that the people who aren't members of NELUG let it
rest until NELUG have a chance to review it?  And then, after the fact,
respect whatever their decision is? Like it or not, it's their decision to
make.

James

(ps: Shiri? try to be encouraged by the number of people who care about this a
lot, and not discouraged by the fact that some of them are being less than
entirely polite)

1:No vest, though - I left that at home with the rest of my suit.