 Organizations / United States / 510
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:25:54 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Outsiders can comment, but not chide and not demand.

What's the diff?

Well, there's rather less between comment and chide than there is between
comment and demand, I guess.

I'd say

"NELUG may find that their policy may be detrimental in the long run"
is a comment,

"NELUG are very wrong to not immediately change their policy"
is shading over to a chide, and

"NELUG MUST change their policy immediately"
is rather a demand, wouldn't you say?

That's my take.

That's a good way to put it. I've probably stepped over the line some in this
discussion, unfortunately the discussion has become somewhat heated. I think
we need to step back a bit, and make sure we're not calling each other names
for the sake of hurting people who have opposite views.

I've taken lugnet.org.us.nelug out of this thread (though I also realize that
that it may be hopeless to move the debate outside of .nelug).

I would like to turn the discussion more to how do LEGO fan clubs respond to
the legitimate concerns of the NELUG members. I'd invite those who have those
concerns (whether they be NELUG members or not) to comment in greater depth on
those concerns (but I won't demand that they do so - though I am of course
free to state that I wouldn't belong to a group which had policies similar to
NELUGs). I also invite those who may feel that such policies are wrong to
comment on how they would address the issues. I'd invite everyone to comment
on each others comments, but refrain from personal attacks.

Frank