 Organizations / United States / 424
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 23:02:36 GMT

In defense of the limit: there is another factor beyond what you listed. The
liability issue provides a reason to make the line at exactly 18 (although
we actually talked about making it 21). The "babysitting" concern wouldn't
apply in your case, but there are people exactly your age to whom it *would*
apply, and rather than having to tell those people so, it's a lot easier on
us all to have a solid rule without exceptions.

But beyond all that: what makes NELUG special to many of us is that it is a
group designed exactly for grown-up Lego enthusiasts. As the joke goes, it's
a support group. Even though it might seem unfair to someone who is
basically mature but technically under the line, the limit is an important
defining factor of what NELUG is.

Although not everyone might be so bold to come out and say it like this
here, this *is* a general feeling of the NELUG membership.

(This is what makes NELUG very different from the computer club story
someone posted.)

I know another trite little analogy isn't going to help much, but I'll say
it anyway: when I was in Jr. High, all of my friends were in the High School
age youth group at church. I felt really left out and jealous. I wasn't
allowed, of course. My friends didn't like me any less, and still hung out
with me otherwise. It just wasn't a place designed for me. And (here's the
little moral of the story) when I actually was old enough, I appreciated
that there was a High School group distinct from the Jr. High. It wasn't
that the division made me feel superior to the younger kids; rather, it felt
good to be included where I belonged. It can be a rite-of-passage thing. :)

I really don't mean to be harsh, and you seemed like a very cool person when
I met you. I definitely look forward to having you in the group in a few
years.

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/