 Organizations / United States / 263
Re: NELUG general purpose bricks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:43:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Eric Kingsley writes:
Definitly interested yes but I think we need a more definitive idea of what we
are getting before we shell out $200 for the parts.  We should also decide who
is going to be "Keeper of the Bricks" before we do this so we don't end up
getting the bricks and then not having a home for them.

I can probably get a picture and more detailed description at some point in the
near future if we'd like... offhand I'd say ballpark 2000 pieces... This is by
NO means accurate... it was REALLY hard to get a good feel for quantity since
they're all still in their piece-bags and they filled a huge Lego bag (the same
size as the ones KL was giving out at the meeting, I believe) to the point of
almost not being able to fit a single piece-bag more... and add to the fact
that she's since sold some since I saw them originally... Anyway, if we get
sufficient interest, I can go down and actually get a much more accurate piece
count (and some pics of what pieces we'd be getting)

As for funding, I don't mind donating $50 or whatever to the cause-- but that
might be a lot more than most people want to donate, especially since it would
most likely be a meetings-only source of bricks (unless we want to offer
occasional replacement parts or something to donating members-- another step
towards defining membership towards that 'gold' brick :) )... But if a lot of
people are interested, I'm sure we could get up funding for it...

Really, I'm most interested in developing the idea of having them at this
point-- who would keep the bricks, bring them to meetings, what could we do
with them, etc... I guess in terms of a "brickmaster" it wouldn't have to be a
single person either, it could float to whoever was willing at the time.
Actually I kind of like having the idea of a communal pool-- sort of like a
fixed jambalaya box or something... [which is actually the reason I haven't
done any jambalaya to date-- I've got some extra stuff that I wouldn't mind
giving in trade for other parts, but they'd rarely be in the same category of
box... for example, I've got a bunch of wagon wheels, some old style trees, and
some other misc stuff that I'd exchange for specific minifig parts that I'm in
need of, but if I sign up for the minifig box, I'd just be taking pieces out,
and if I signed up for whatever box has wagon wheels, I'd just be putting
pieces in... this kind of makes it a more general and local jambalaya...]
Anyway, that's another thing that would be kind of nice to have...

Anyway, just my $.02900612 (CAD)

DaveE

(CAD Exchange rate of 1.450306 taken at 3:42pm, 13/01/2000, down .388% from
yesterday)