 Organizations / United States / 218
Re: NELUG Castle Display at TCS Brainstorm...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:11:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Eric Kingsley writes:
I have a number of ideas for the settings so please add more ideas if you have
them or post which theme you would most be interested.  Here is my initial
list.

1.  Large Modular Castle that takes up most of the window.
2.  Castle Battle scene that includes 1 or 2 Castles with a large battle
underway.
3.  Medieval setting where we have a castle with a Medieval type town outside
the gates.
4.  Medieval town being pillaged by the "Bad Guy's".
5.  Mystery and Magic where we have a Castle and/or a Wizards keep and Magic
rules the land.

I guess my favorite would be #3 but I like #1 and #5 a lot too.  Of course I
would be happy to contribute to any of these.  Also remember we would like to
use some of the 2000 Castle sets as well.

My vote would be for 2,3,and 4 combined (maybe even 5 too, but that might be
tough to squeeze in):
A large castle on one end... elevated, and toward the rear of the display, kind
of on that "hillside" type style. I'm picturing it towards the left rear (as
seen from face on). In front of the castle, and towards the middle of the
display, we have the villiage... and to the right, a horde of attacking
barbarians.  Some of the villiage is still unaware (don't ask how) of the
oncoming assault (towards the left hand side), and business is going along
somewhat as usual. In the middle, and more to the right, we have the villiage
being pillaged by the barbarians... and through the villiage, as though they're
pouring forth from the castle-- the large heroic army on its way to defend the
town, starting to be engaged with the approaching horde.

Of course, that's just me dreaming up a storm. I have no idea what people are
willing/wanting to contribute, and what they'd like to see... but that's just
my initial vision. I actually like all the ideas... that's just what came to
mind first... mostly because it works off of the same idea that the new 2000
stuff has been focusing on... barbarians vs. the "good" guys.

Otherwise, another idea that I'm liking the more I think about it is just a
whole kingdom-- one area has the forest (BIG trees, etc), one area is farmland,
one area has a market place, then you've got the castle overlooking the
kingdom... that might look really good! We could have a road going through the
forest (a nobleman being robbed by robin hood or something in the forest)... we
could also set up a barbarian horde ABOUT to approach the village (I know, I've
got a thing for barbarian hordes, call it a weakness)... a huge waterwheel
style mill (I'd love to see one set up to actually run, although that would
require leaving a motor running for VAST amounts of time... wouldn't be good
for the motor) Anyway, before I start rambling even MORE, I'll stop here, and
just say, there's a lot of ideas I could go for. (I'll put in my barbarian
horde SOMEWHERE! :) )

I don't have a lot to contrubute a the moment but I do have the following.

1.  Small Church ( http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/church/ )
2.  Market ( http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/castle/market/ )
3.  A few minifigs (Mostly SW peasants)
4.  I have a lot of gray bricks that can be used for a castle if needed.
(Maybe a building day?).

What I have to contribute is unbuilt. I can probably build anything from
castles to houses to shops in a somewhat small scale within a month pretty
easily (as in a 32x32 baseplate or 2... maybe 3, depending on what it is)... Of
course that presupposes our timeframe. But at present I have scads of grey
bricks, black roofing, red roofing, and SOME blue roofing. (Also a fair lot of
tan bricks, and a BIT of brown).

As for a building day, I think I'd refine that by saying that we'd be building
together, but building separate modules, and aligning them so they fit well
together... I'm just making sure we veer away from intermingling collections
too much ('figs are fine.. they worked pretty well the last time with the
multicolored paper inside idea)

As for figs, I've got around 350 castle figs plus I'm guessing around 20
peasants made from other genres. Of course they're all from different
"teams"... While I've got about 80 crusaders and 64 Fright Knights, I only have
18 Dragon Masters, and only 6 Forestmen. So if we DO want to have a large war,
we should probably go with a "team" that we've all got lots of figs for... (or
that we're willing to lend to the model)

I plan on doubling the size of the market and I personally like these sections
on the Tan 16x32 baseplates (gives a more worn look) plus I have quite a few
16x32 Tan baseplates so it is convinient for me.  I also want to try and build
some rural houses/buildings as well so I might be able to contribute something
there as well.

I've got about 10 16x32 tan baseplates, along with some of the narrow ones from
the Outback Airstrip... and a whole bunch of other tan plates to 'blend' them
into other color baseplates. Also, I really like the brown baseplates that come
in the '99 ninja sets... they might look really good for something like a field
of crops, with flower bases sticking out as budding produce... the only problem
being that I don't have lots of them.... I think they'd look really good in a
BIG forest... along with outcroppings of grass, moss, and random rocks thrown
in...

Anyway, now that I've wasted enough time with my ramblings... I'm eager to hear
feedback... I'll shut up and go do work like a good little cubicle-rat.

DaveE