 Organizations / SciBrick / 277
Re: What is happening with SciBrick??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:14:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.scibrick, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   Hey Lenny, what is up with SciBrick??

I’ve been getting this question off and on since the ‘We Want You’ Affair, and my answer has been mostly “SciBrick is re-organizing itself, developments to be mentioned later.”

I’d like to expand upon that a little bit and give everyone a sense of what SciBrick is going to be, and where do you (as a general, non-specified member) fit in?

I have updated SciBrick’s mission (as seen on the newsgroup sidebar). It now reads:

The mission of SciBrick is to support and encourage the public display of Science Fiction LEGO Creations.

This change was made to streamline the purpose of SciBrick, and to give it a very specific purpose and goal. Before, SciBrick was meant to be very active, and a “prestigious” organization - and while this is still what we want to do, this gives an impression of elitism to non-members. [snip] Right now, while this reorganization is happening and for simplicity’s sake, membership is not open. It is my desire to finish the reorg and get SciBrick up and running within the next few months. However, I am starting graduate school and want to work on other LEGO projects - so my goal may not be realized. But I will try very diligently.

Any questions? Thoughts? Responces?

Feel free to let me know what you think!

Lenny,

I think the streamlining of the mission statement is a step in a good direction, blazing a path that is more clearcut from the start, so to speak. I can recall sitting in the Mosaic room at Brickfest ‘03 and hearing about SciBrick for the first time. At the time I thought “Wow, this is really neat.” and was excited for developments. I understand that there have been some trials and tribulations but what new organization doesn’t face such things. Anywho, I look forward to the reorganization. This post was helpful to me in seeing where things are going. And, to quote Kelly, “it’s always been a cool org from my point of view, and one that I’d like to become involved in at some point (when I have some actual, ya know, MOCs to show).” I concur.

Sincerely,
Andrew P. Saada
GardenSLUG
GtwLUG