 Organizations / SciBrick / 22
Re: scibrick and our future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:27:44 GMT

In lugnet.org.scibrick, Aaron Sneary wrote:
   In lugnet.org.scibrick, Jeff Szklennik wrote:
   In lugnet.org.scibrick, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.org.scibrick, Jeff Szklennik wrote:

Lego needs to get a licence from Paramount for Star Trek Lego. Minifig tribbles!

And this relates to the topic how?

-Tim

“To act as a communications medium between the lego company and other organizations, for science fiction building fans”...“let me know what you think. What are your ideas?”

wishful thinking & suggestions for scibrick to bring up with Lego Co.

Jeff

Jeff, Representatives from the LEGO company have made it pretty clear at Brickfest (and directly to me in the past) that they do not accept product suggestions from outside the company.

Also, a Japanese company called Kubricks currently holds the Paramount license agreement for Star Trek building blocks and figures.

The ‘communication’ mentioned here, I believe is more aimed at public event cooridination. That’s my understanding.

Aaron S

Why should Lego license? It only adds to the pricetag of sets--which people complain are too high. Look at the Make and Create. Do you want more parts for the price, or do you want to pay for a license every time you buy a set? Besides, with the amount of classic space folks (and PCS), wouldn’t it be better for Lego to have their own brand of Lego Space-themed sets? I thought Lego wants to be about creativity and imagination--not making a pre-defined product (i.e. The Enterprise) into a Lego set..How many Enterprise and Sci-Fi MOC’s from TV/Movies are on Brickshelf? Let’s keep them as MOC’s, not as future possible Lego sets..

Aside from that (and I won’t call Felix “Uhura”, as much as he said he’s a “communications officer”), I wonder if we could target science museums as well as sci-fi conventions. Some that come to mind:

-COSI - Columbus, Ohio (Kathryn Sullivan, first American woman to do a space walk, is the CEO of the museum). It’s also a really nice museum as well. Plus, it would be a great gathering point for a lot of the LUG/LTC’s (COLTC, BLOC, Indylug, Michlug,WAMALUG, GardenSLUG, LUCNY, MSLTC,NILTC,maybe even Toronto RTL, etc) --what a potential for a huge moonbase...

-LSC - (Liberty Science Center) This would be great for GardenSLUG, LUCNY, as well as some possible association with the new Lego store in Paramus, NJ

-Dragoncon - This is one of America’s largest Sci-Fi/fiction/fantasy/gaming based convention, based in Atlanta, GA. I’ve staffed this event in the past, and attendance numbers around 20,000 attendees. We could have more than just sci-fi based things here (Frank F..Steve Jackson attends Dragon con fairly regularly)...the possibility of a “Lego track” might be something to bring to the event organizers in the next year or two..talking about SNOT techniques, showing pictures of things, building workshops, etc. Also, Dragoncon has a “kids track” for children of convention attendees...imagine what a K8 would do there!

-NASA KSC Lego Space at NASA...and imagine how many visitors come to NASA each day...and how many wanna-be astronauts would be inspired by our MOCS!!

-Space Camp, Huntsville, Alabama. Lego and NASA has the new Discovery sets... Talk about an opportunity to really grab people going to space camp and have them play with Lego, see what you can do..Lego wants to inspire the next generation of scientists and explorers...

Keep in mind, I’m running this off the top of my head, and it’s based on places I’ve been to. I’m sure there are lots of other places I haven’t been that would be great places...

Scott Lyttle (who had nothing but Lego classic space (SPACE!) growing up in the 80’s)