 Organizations / SciBrick / 21
Re: scibrick and our future (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:59:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Felix,

Scibrick, I feel, should be a group devoted to furthering the use of LEGO as an artistic media in the science-fiction genre. A very ‘fluffy’ sentence, so I’ll explain:

SB should be an independent group that is capable of presenting displays and exhibits that can rival TLC’s model builders. Because the group is independent, the group will have more flexibility than TLC in subject matter and models. Science-fiction (space, especially) is something that has been a source for sets from TLC, but SB will go beyond the sets to a higher level of modeling in concepts and detail. SB will then become a resource for use by TLC and the public in participating in appropriate activities.

Appropriate activities would include museum shows, science-fiction and science conventions, even movie theaters. And each place would present unique objectives for SB to take advantage of.

These include:

Participation in the LEGO community. SB displays will show many people new ways to build ‘outside of the box.’ And they can inspire people to begin or restart their LEGO hobby.

Education to the general community. SB displays could show models of upcoming NASA projects and also provide information about them. Simple writeups about space models could expose the public to how things work, and if planned completely, could provide guides to find out more information on the concepts behind the models. For example, Bob Haye’s round space station at Brickfest was beautiful..imagine having that at the Air and Space Museum with a little writeup explaining why it is round. People would be drawn in by the model, and they will want to learn.

Promotion of LEGO as a viable medium for science-fiction. SB will provide a professional level of modelmaking to the places it chooses to participate in. The club’s reputation will not only be in the science fiction genre, but also in the building media. Many people will be surprised and amazed at the the collective talents of SB. As an example, Adrian Drake’s Nebucanezzar at a movie theatre showing Matrix Revolutions would be a fun way to show that while people have grown up, so have LEGO builders. Imagine a Helm’s Deep diorama as done by SB at another theatre.

These are all blue sky proposals, but proposals that can be reachable.

SB will have to be flexible to meet these objectives. The leadership will have to have regional leaders to act on events and represent SB at the local level.

SB should be a coordinating body to send and create displays and models to events, and act as a liason to TLC if needed.

SB will also be open to all branches of science-fiction including fantasy. If we want to have the maximum available talent, SB should work with the broadest base possible.

And SB and ILTCO should be complements of each other.

Just my thoughts.

Joe Meno .space paparazzi!