 Organizations / GLUG / 66
Re: Gencon And HELP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:58:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.glug, Dylan Jambrek wrote:
Well, the time is approaching, and the 4 best days of gaming come closer.
So how many of you GLUG readers out there are making the trek to Indy and the
first meeting of GLUG? What game(s) will you be playing? Will you be GMing?
What Teklevel of Brikwars will you be playing in. What sized fleet do you
have for Stevie's Pirate Game? My curiosity strikes me.

I'll be there, with the proverbial bells on.  I'm GMing all the Brick Battles
events, but will probably not have an opportunity to play much else, as I'm also
running demos for Ad Astra Games.

Transportation for me isn't a problem(which it usually is as I'm 15 and can't
drive.) What is a problem, is my mother's worry about my security. It was
previously thought that my friend Evan Butzlaff was going with us, so that
the buddy system would come into play. But now, he can't come, lack of funds.

So, I am at a loss, I need something to assure my mother that I will be
safe. I hope that some of you guys can help me, with suggestions that will
make her believe that my saftey is not an issue, that I will not be alone at
all times, and the like. Please help me, the time grows short.

Hmm.  Well, as with any major convention, there will be professional as well as
volunteer security on duty; and given the size of it, I imagine police as well.
And while it is a new venue, it's still a well-established con, and the
organizers are experienced at running a smooth, safe event.

Also, there is always at least 1 GLUG event running at all times, which means
there will always be at least 1 person you "know" in our area, and almost
certainly more.

There isn't much more I can contribute to calming a Paranoid Parent; it's been
too long since I had one, and it isn't that far off that I'll *be* one.  I will
note that gaming conventions attract a lot of teenagers - that's a large part of
their target demographic.  Keeping things safe and accessable for teenagers is
good business.  Gencon's been around for a long time - if it wasn't safe for
teens, something would have happened by now.

James