 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 906
Re: SEALUG visit - a word to the wise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 06:20:35 GMT

Matthias Jetleb wrote in message <3a875956.771835@lugnet.com>...
It occurs to me that a group of adults running around with large
quantities of Lego on hand are going to have a hard time convincing
the average Customs official that it really is theirs, and not a gift
or flea market item. The way we Hams get around this problem is to
visit the customs office on the way OUT of the country and get a form
detailing what you are carrying that you intend to bring back. This
usually applies to radios, cameras, personal stereos, and other
relatively high-value items but, given that a decent Mindstorms
model(s) can run close to $1000 CDN, you might be prudent to declare
these items on the way out, and if customs on either side of the
border tries to asks questions, you can use the card to demonstrate
reasonable proof of intent to retain ownership within Canada, and
proof that you already owned these items when you left the U.S., and
didn't buy it in Canada.

I've done this when taking a laptop across the border too. It probably won't
be a problem with Lego, though, since there's no duty on Lego going in
either direction across the border.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1