 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1645
Re: New pictures -- see train rollercoaster track (preview)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:58:03 GMT

Hello Holger,

I got one question: Who build the Fokker Dr I triplane? And did he or she knew
my version of the Fokker Dr I which I build earlier this year? Did he or she
used the old spoked wheels? The tail looks very similar to mine.

Yes, I knew of your fantastic model, and used it for some of my
inspiration.  It was also great to get some idea of scale, checking
length vs. wingspan vs. wing height, etc.  I did not copy any details
from your model, but the tail does look similar.  My vertical tail fin
(rudder) is basically composed of two of these pieces (
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=6060 ) bottom to bottom,
with miscellaneous fillter pieces and a couple of technic pins holding
it all together.  I covered both sides with a cut-to-fit sticky label
(with graphic) to hide everything.  My guess is that you did something
similar, judging from the pictures.  Am I right?

I did use the old red spoked wheels for landing gear, and popped white
saucers on the hubs for the proper effect.  I really wanted to have
the inside wing spars angle out from the fuselage and not be perfectly
vertical (I did settle for that on the landing gear), so I worked a
little magic for those.  I also wanted "smoother" wings so I opted for
a simpler solution for the outside wing spars.  They are not as strong
as your technic beam solution, but they are surprisingly strong (much
tougher than the Sopwith, for example).  The entire model is *very*
rigid and strong, with the only exception being the tiny tail skid,
which works, but is very prone to breaking.  For me, aesthetics won
out, and I liked the look better than a larger tail skid.

We've got two planes out there now.  One or two more, and we'll have
the makings of a squadron!  The "Flying Circus" flies again!

Email me directly if you'd like to talk more about our models.

Cheers,

Robin Sather
robinsather@hotmail.com