 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 151
Re: Structure of VLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:54:18 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

After the discussions on Friday, I did some thinking...

One thing that became obvious is that trying to have business
discussions as part of a "zoo" member play event like Fridays is
difficult. People (eg ME) just don't remember things that are talked
about in between playing. Dean asked if I thought we ought to have
minutes and stuff, and at the time I said no, but on consideration...
there's a reason why clubs and other organisation have developed a
standard-ish structure with boards of directors etc, and why people keep
minutes of meetings. These are solutions to problems that organisations
face, and which the VLC is facing (some people feeling overloaded, some
people feeling that they are not consulted, decisions not being
remembered). So, maybe we do need to bite the bullet and have a/some
business meetings, elect a board or steering committee, and record
decisions (that doesn't have to mean blow-by-blow minutes, just what was
decided and who agreed to do what). Unfortunately, groups which don't
take on some kind of structure tend to die when the organisers burn out.
Been there, done that. No t-shirt.

Discussion?

I agree. I'd say we reserve the first 30 minutes or so for our 'admin.'
meetings and new business.

To keep things simple I suggest we adopt the 'Robert's Rules of Order' for
our meetings.

I also suggest that we appoint/vote for positions of  Chair, Vice Chair,
Treasurer, secretary & Public Events Organizer. With terms of 6 months to a
year.

This way some of us won't feel like we are spinning our wheels and not
feeling appreciated.

I don't feel we should be discussing our 'business/admin.' items in public.

I can see if Lugnet can give us a more secure forum in Lugnet.admin.vlc or I
can set up a Web forum on a friends server.

Dean

--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html